Paid Advise

Wife without any reasonable cause refuses to live with husband

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Maintenance order passed to pay rupees 6500 to my wife. The court gave that order; even my wife refused to live with me. She has been living separately. She voluntarily refused to live with me. If a wife refuses to live with her husband, then is she entitled for maintenance?

Question from: Rajasthan

The wife must have a good reason for living separate from husband

Wife is not entitled to maintenance if she has no reasonable cause to live separate. The wife can claim alimony under section 125 of the code of criminal procedure (crpc) if her husband refuses or neglects to maintain her. Section 125 also requires that the wife should be ready to live with her husband. She cannot get hot and cold water simultaneously.

Also read: Maintenance is a right of legally wedded wife

In one hand she refuses to live with her husband without any reasonable cause and on the other hand, claiming maintenance. Sub-section 4 of section 125 crpc itself enumerates that wife is not entitled to alimony if she, without any sufficient reason, refuses to live with her husband.

No Wife shall be entitled to receive an allowance from her husband under this section if she is living in adultery, or if, without any sufficient reason, she refuses to live with her husband, or if they are living separately by mutual consent.

Section 125(4) CrPC

File a revision against the order of Section 125 CrPC

The Magistrate should have rejected your wife’s petition for maintenance. The provisions of section 125(4) does not allow the Magistrate to grant alimony if wife without any sufficient reason refuses to live with her husband. The order of maintenance is passed in violation of statutory provision i.e. section 125(4) CrPC. Therefore, you should immediately file a revision for setting aside this order. You should also seek an interim relief from the revisional court i.e. to stay the order of monthly allowance with immediate effect.

Also read: How to stay the order passed under section 125 CrPC

The litigant must approach the court with his clean hands. If a wife is not ready to live with her husband, then she has no right to claim maintenance. Your wife is a guilty parte because she is refusing to perform her matrimonial obligation. Therefore, the guilty party is not entitled to get any relief from the court. Section 125 (4) thus, embodies this principle. When the wife is living separately, the court must satisfy itself whether she has sufficient reason thereof. If the answer is no, the court cannot pass any order of alimony or monthly allowance.

Where to file revision petition

If a Magistrate has passed this order the revision will lie in Court of Sessions. In case the family court has passed the order, then you can file a revision before the High Court. Section 397 CrPC deals with the revision regardless the order is passed by the Magistrate or Family Court. It is an erroneous order, therefore, liable to be set aside.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months?

Question: I was married to my boyfriend when I was studying in B.Tech. We solemnised our marriage in a temple. How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months? All those things happened in hush-hush. No one knew about our marriage but we got registration of our...

Legal validity of consensual relationship with brother

Question: It is a complicated situation for me, I am a 40 year old lady. My husband was an abuser and we have legally divorced 6 years ago without any issues left. I left my hometown, came to Delhi to join a job and started staying with my brother who is never married...

Child Custody to a third party 

Question: My partner wishes that I could take legal custody over her. She is happy with her family but wants to leave. I live in the UK, and she lives in India. What (if any) are our options? Can the court allow child custody to a third party?  Asked from: Uttar...

My wife has filed false FIR

Question: My wife has filed false FIR under Section 498A/406 IPC. Section 3 & D P Act, against me and my old aged ill widow mother. I am the only child and my wife and her parents are hell-bent to take divorce. She wants to remarry. Hence they told me they will...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.