Home | Legal Advice | Family Law Advice | Wife is planning to file a false criminal case: How should I protect myself?

Wife is planning to file a false criminal case: How should I protect myself?

Question: Can I protect myself from being roped in a false criminal case? My wife is planning to file a false criminal case against me. She does not want to live with my joint family and is forcing me to transfer to another city. I am working in a PSU Bank and have a possibility to shift to another city. But my parents need my support hence, I don’t want to transfer from here. 

My in-laws are suggesting my wife to leave the joint family and go to any metro city to live a good life. They are very influential and dominate my wife to follow their suggestions. She starts quarreling on petty issues and tempts me to do any violence or criminal act. I am very worried about my future because she has an intention i.e. send me to jail. Please help!

Question from: Maharashtra

You should arrange a meeting with your in-laws for amicable settlement of dispute with your wife. Engage in that meeting some elder persons or family members from both sides. Put forth all the issues and misunderstandings and ask them to give an amicable solution. 

You must state the behaviour of your wife and her demand to settle in another city. Also unveil the undue interference of your in-laws and their dominating behaviour. Don’t hide anything in that meeting. You should not give any solution thereof. Let the members devise a peaceful solution to all these disputes. 

Also read: What to do against the false allegation

Thereafter, your wife cannot file a false criminal case arising out of the current matrimonial acrimony. When she would have an opportunity to express her grievance in that meeting thereafter she would not mingle the fact so as to fabricate a false criminal case. You can pray the High Court to quash the criminal proceeding if your wife files any false criminal case. Court always appreciates the parties to do amicable settlement of their dispute.

Lawyer’s advice

Maintenance in case of divorce after one year of marriage

Question: I want to know whether maintenance in case of divorce after one year of marriage is possible. I got married on 20 Nov 2019. Now we want to get separated by mutual consent. My wife is a B. Tech. & MBA but did not make any serious attempt to get a job. At...

My mother-in-law is harassing me for getting my salary

Question: My mother-in-law is harassing me for getting my salary. She is a very cruel lady and very greedy. I am working as a bank manager in ICICI Bank and my husband is a software engineer. My husband is lower than my salary therefore my mother in law is demanding...

Can I live in relationship with a married person?

Question: Can I live in a relationship with a married person who does not live with his wife? I love him a lot. Actually, we were wet on a dating website. I want to know whether our relationship will be valid? Can I enforce those rights available to married...

Wife quarrels with my mother: Can I get divorce on cruelty?

Question: We married 12 years ago and we have a 10 years old son. Our marital relationship is not good and my wife quarrels with my mother. She wants my mother don't stay with us. During the quarrel she spoke awkward words, abused, and raised hand on me.  One day she...

Anonymous complaint in Domestic Violence Act

Question: Can I file an anonymous complaint in the Domestic Violence Act because my sister’s husband does not allow her to leave the home? My sister has been living under the strict surveillance of her husband. She is facing severe domestic violence and mental torture...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.