Paid Advise

Wife is living with her parents and not coming back to her matrimonial home

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: Father-in-law mentioned that he wants to take my wife for 4 days.  Wife left home and has been living with parents for the past 2 months. Avoiding all contacts and conversations, even family members too not willing to talk. Wife is living with her parents and not coming back to her matrimonial home. What could I do?

Asked from: Delhi

You should  visit your in-laws’ house to take back your wife. If she is refusing to come back and showing her willingness to stay at her parental home. Then you should file a civil suit for the restitution of conjugal rights. 

You can file a suit under Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act for the restitution of conjugal rights. It is necessary for you to prove that your wife has disassociated you and is not willing to resume your union. 

In the matrimonial discord not necessary to send a legal notice. You should exercise your legal rights provided under the statutory law. Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act provides a remedy to the aggrieved spouse whose partner is living apart without any sufficient reason.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months?

Question: I was married to my boyfriend when I was studying in B.Tech. We solemnised our marriage in a temple. How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months? All those things happened in hush-hush. No one knew about our marriage but we got registration of our...

Legal validity of consensual relationship with brother

Question: It is a complicated situation for me, I am a 40 year old lady. My husband was an abuser and we have legally divorced 6 years ago without any issues left. I left my hometown, came to Delhi to join a job and started staying with my brother who is never married...

Child Custody to a third party 

Question: My partner wishes that I could take legal custody over her. She is happy with her family but wants to leave. I live in the UK, and she lives in India. What (if any) are our options? Can the court allow child custody to a third party?  Asked from: Uttar...

My wife has filed false FIR

Question: My wife has filed false FIR under Section 498A/406 IPC. Section 3 & D P Act, against me and my old aged ill widow mother. I am the only child and my wife and her parents are hell-bent to take divorce. She wants to remarry. Hence they told me they will...

Can I cancel the marriage after engagement

Question: I want to cancel the marriage after the engagement. I met a girl on 14.01.2022 & had an engagement (roka) on 19.01.2022. I met her from 15.01.2022 to 22.01.2022. After that she went to another city (Mumbai) & joined her office. After that she used to...

Mother is taking custody of children from father

Question: My wife is living apart. She is living with her paramour and happy with him. I have two children, both are sons. Now the mother is taking custody of the children from the father. It is a very painful situation for me. Both sons are minor and very happy with...

How can I get a copy of divorce decree?

Question: How can I get a copy of divorce decree? What should I do if my husband has solemnised second marriage? I have been living separately from my husband for two years. He has solemnised a second marriage and is living with that lady. When I knew about it I...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.