Legal Advice

Who will get the agricultural land after father’s death?


Who will get the agricultural land after father's death? Father holds one-acre agricultural land. He has a wife, three daughters and one son.


This agricultural land is ancestral property and your father is not its absolute owner since he has three sons and one daughter. After the amendment in the Hindu Succession Act, the daughter has become a coparcener and has an equal right in the ancestral property as the sons.

In your case, your father, his three daughters, and one son are all coparceners and have an equal right to this property. Therefore, after your father’s death, you and your three sisters will inherit the property.

Section 29-A, 29-B, and 29-C of the Hindu Succession (Andhra Pradesh Amendment) Act, 1985 provide daughters with the right to ancestral property. The Andhra Pradesh government granted this right much before the amendment in the Hindu Succession Act of 2005. Therefore, your father’s children will inherit the property after his death.

After the amendment in section 6 of the Hindu Succession Act, daughters became class 1 heirs. This amendment recognizes the daughter’s right in her father’s property. Daughters have an equal right in their father’s property along with sons. Moreover, the daughter acquires an interest in the property by birth and is protected even if the father disposes of his own interest.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Father can transfer entire property to grandmother

My age is 16 and I’m the only son. My mother died 3 years back and so now my father is going to re-marry. It’s a very tough situation, my father says that he’ll give the entire property and assets to my grandmother and then she’ll give all that to me when I’m old enough. Everything we own is ancestral property but then there is also assets like gold or silver. So is there any chance that my stepmother can acquire all that and push me out. I’m scared please answer.

Tenant has made substantial changes in premises without permission of landlord

I am writing to seek your professional advice regarding a situation I am facing with my tenant. Over the past three years, my tenant has not paid rent, and I am concerned about the legal steps I can take to address this issue. Can I terminate the rent agreement based on this non-payment?

Additionally, I recently discovered that the tenant has undertaken significant alterations to the property without my knowledge or consent. This includes filling a large cavity, which seems to have resulted from his negligence. He has also installed an extra bathroom, toilet, and kitchen on the premises without obtaining proper authorization. It appears that he neglected to properly fill the trenches used to lay sewerage and water lines, leading to structural damage such as cracks in the walls and ceiling. He has written that he has spent on filling up the cavity but has not given details of expenses. However, he is trying to link it with non-payment of rent.

Given these circumstances, the tenant is now requesting extensive repairs to the property. I would like to mention that the tenant is 90 years old, and all of his sons have their own residences. It seems that he intends for his grandson to continue residing in the property as a tenant.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the legal options available to me in this situation. Your expertise and advice will be invaluable in helping me navigate this complex matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

P.S. How can I send the rent agreement cum compromise?

NOC from government for taking admission in foreign university

I am a govt servant and currently in a process of making applications to numerous foreign universities  for a PhD program.  I asked my organization for a general NOC applicable to all universities. They denied and asked me to mention the name of the university to which I am applying.  As currently I am in a process of making applications and my admission is not yet confirmed. I cannot mention a list of 10-50 universities in my application.  Kindly help me write an appeal / application for issuance of a general NOC.