Paid Advise

Whether prostitute’s customer commits offence

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: Police is calling prostitute’s customer. The police said that it is an offence under Section 3/4/5/7 of the Immoral Traffic Prevention Act. I want to know whether prostitute’s customer commits offence if he had sex with her? Mrs X is doing some sort of Pimp/Brothel. Call Girls put their mobile no to her. Some men customers have been calling girls from Mrs X Pimp for many years. One day in the past 12 days  Mr. Maximus who was sometimes a customer in past few months got information that Mrs X was taken out from her home when two arranged partners just arrived in her home. The information said no indulgence/unclothing was yet happened about the two arranged partners. Police abducted/arrested the two women and seized Mrs. X mobile handset for investigation it said. On that past 12 day from the incident, Mr. Maximus was called by Police to record witness statements in their Station. 

Mr Maximus a govt employee felt disturbed so he denied as he never knew Mrs X as doing such. Knowing as just one acquaintance. But Police said don’t lie, we had a conversation (about your asking/giving call girl) on the seized mobile handset but Police did not show that. Police did not tell even the case number but simply said we arrested two women under human trafficking that is serious. After another 4 days i.e. 16 days from the incident day, Mr Maximus learned Mrs X was released on Bail from Jail.   

She said two of them (both women) were not in jail but only she is in jail and bailed. Police did not take them to Court/Magistrate yet from the incident day also. But she said court date hearing to be in the future 13.03.2022. She said she did not know the case number and did not get any paper from the Police so far. 

Now all circumstances/events/story had become doubtful and cannot be confirmed. (1) Is Mr Maximus govt employee status in danger? If to apply anticipatory bail when to do, how to do without actually knowing the matter & case number? Ignoring as previous customer will be good or bad. What steps are necessary. Or, does it seems the Police do things correctly and seriously? Crime of Mrs X and Customer (anyone) who are at crime and the degree of punishment? 

Asked from: Nagaland

There is no law which makes the sex with prostute an offence. Hence, customer of prostitute does not commit any offence if he had sexual relations with her. Both are adults and of sound mind. They are doing sex with their free consent. Free consent of parties towards sexual intercourse does not amount to rape. 

But running a brothel house is illegal and punishable under the Immoral Traffic Prevention Act (ITP Act). A person who is running a brothel house or inducing a person for the sake of prostitution commits offence under ITP Act. In Goenka Sajan Kumar v. State of A.P. AIR ONLINE 2014 AP 5 the Andhra Pradesh High Court has held that:

Running a brothel house, acting as a pip for personnel in brothel house, procuring, inducing or in dicing any person for sake of prostitution, earning on premises where prostitution is carried out are offence under ITP Act.

Mr Maximus was a customer of a prostitute. He never indulged in any activity as mentioned above, therefore, he has not committed any offence. Police cannot call him an accused. A person being the prostitute’s customer commits no offence under the Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act 1956.

If Mr. Maximus is named as accused by the police, then he should immediately file a petition in the High Court for the quashing of the FIR. The High Court may quash the FIR if it finds that Mr Maximus was only a customer. In the Bhajan Lal’s case the Supreme Court has held that when no offence is made out against the accused the High Court should quash the criminal proceeding.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Can investigating officer send the document to FSL?

Question: Can investigating officer send the document to FSL? I am 75 years Retd ISRO scientist in Hyderabad.  Seeking your advice/suggestion/consultation on a small clarification. I had bought 1 Acr land  in 1997 and got it mutated in 2019. ROR is in my...

Prosecution sanctioned not in three months is it valid? 

Question: Prosecution sanction by competent authority is granted after lapse of stipulated period mandated and specified under Section 19 of the P. C. amendment act 2018. Prosecution sanctioned not in three months is it valid?  Whether the sanction is valid or...

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone?

Question: I am from Kolkata. my Phone has some last memories of my grandma. I lost my mobile on 16.05.2022 and my mobile rang for about 6 hours and then switched off. How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone? Obviously it's switched off by someone. I went to the local...

Can I file FIR against husband in delhi for bigamy?

Question: Our marriage solemnised in the UAE. My husband is working in the UAE. After I got married in UAE on 5th Feb 2022 I came to know that I have been cheated. My husband was married 2 times before Married to me. He has not dissolved his previous marriage. Can I...

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CDR?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.