Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Whether sanction is necessary for retired employee

Whether sanction is necessary for retired employee

Estimated Reading Time:

Whether sanction is necessary for retired employee? A loan was sanctioned in August 2012. CBI admitted the case, employee retired in 31st march 2013. The bank filed complaint with CBI without charging sanctioning authority in 1.6 2017. CBI filed case on 30.07.2019 without taking approval from sanctioning authority. Case was admitted in CBI court. Bank subsequently refused permission for prosecution and sanction was denied. Recently case is standing at the point of charge.

As the bank has filed complaint after four years with CBI and also sanction have denied by the bank. Whether discharge is possible under above circumstance.

Question from: Delhi

The CBI initiated proceeding against you after the retirement therefore, you are not entitle to take protection granted to public servant under section 19 of the Prevention of Corruption Act. If the court would have taken congnisance on or before the retirement then sanction was mandatory [K. Veeraswami v. Union of India, (1991) 3 SCC 655].

Whether sanction is necessary for retired employee?

The public servants having retired from service there was no occasion to consider grant of sanction under Section 19 of the PC Act. The law on the point is quite clear that sanction to prosecute the public servant for the offences under the PC Act is not required if the public servant had already retired on the date of cognizance by the court. [State of Punjab v. Labh Singh, (2014) 16 SCC 807]

The above provision is applicable if charges sheet is produced for the offence punishable under the Prevention of Corruption Act. If the charge sheet did not file under the PC Act then a retired public service is entitled to take the protection available to him under section 197 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (crpc).

If charge sheet is relating to the offences punishable under the Indian Penal Code (IPC), then sanction is mandatory [State of H.P. v. Nishant Sareen, (2010) 14 SCC 527]. According to section 197 crpc, court cannot frame charge without sanction of the concerned authority. As you said that sanction has been denied, so court cannot frame charge against you if the offence committed under the IPC only. In this condition discharge is possible.

Latest Advice

My neighbour stares at me and my sister: What should I do?

My neighbours built the house recently. His balcony covers half of the road and standing on the balcony he stares at me and my sister. Most of the time we stay inside home, if we go out to buy vegetables, he comes and keeps on staring. He throws cigarette pieces at my home. Difficult to live in my own house.
How to deal with this issue? Old granny at home and I don’t have anyone to support. Since I’m a girl I should not raise my voice.

I want divorce because my wife is a characterless lady

My wife has illegal relations which I did not know at the time of marriage. She is a characterless lady so I want divorce. I got married in 2008, and my marriage life is still very good till Dec 2019. In Dec 2019 I found that my wife has been characterless for so many...

Boyfriend is playing victim card and blackmailing me

Boyfriend is playing the victim card and blackmailing me to shut my mouth and stop claiming marriage. My boyfriend promised me he will marry I said no cuz I have no control over my anger bt he said he will manage then he ask for physical just cuz he will marry I said...

Embezzlement of paid electricity bills

Complaints regarding embezzlement of paid electricity bills were made by consumers in the division office of the electricity board against lower class employees. Statements of consumers were recorded in the division office. After that an FIR was lodged against the...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.