Legal Advice

Whether one co-owner can sell a land without actual division


I want to know whether one co-owner can sell a land without actual division when there are five co-owners. A registered Will contains names of only five brothers. This property has divided equally in all 5 brothers. Grandfather & grandmother both are no more. My grandfather owned one big piece of land on the highway (purchased by himself). He had 5 sons & one daughter. Before his demise, in 1994, he had registered his Will. In the registered will he has divided this property between his 5 sons only.  Sons & daughters Name are :- A (Son) B (Son) C  (Daughter) D (Son) E (Son) F (Son). In this sequence, B (Son) has done two marriages. Son B, has 1 daughter from first marriage. & two sons from second marriage. Son B has registered one case for division of this land and along with that his daughter has raised the case for share in this land from his division.  In the records of rights (jamabandi) for land, the names are specified of only 5 sons of my Grandfather (A,B,D,E & F). Can son A sell his part of land before the division of land ? Whether any chance that Daughter can claim a share in this land? Is there  any chance of  issues raised by other parties in selling part of land by Son A. Is there any chance of cancellation of sales deed and registry when son A wants to sell his land.


There are five co-owners and all have joint possession. Therefore it is impossible to sell the share of one owner without affecting the actual division. The property must be definite at the time of sale. Its boundaries, area and ownership should be well defined in the sale deed. Without partition you cannot claim that you are the owner of a particular portion of land. 

You cannot sell the land without partition

You should first divide the land before sale and demarcate boundaries and area for each owner. Thereafter you can sell your land. This process is mandatory otherwise the sale deed will become void. The other co-owners can sue the purchaser and refuse to give him possession over the land.  

Can a daughter claim her share?

No, in this scenario the daughter cannot claim her share in the property. Your father had already divided the property among the sons. The amendment of Hindu Succession Act (HSA) does not apply in your case. Section 6 of the HSA confers coparcency upon the daughter. Therefore, the daughter gets share in the ancestral property by birth.

This property has already been divided before the coming into force of the amendment Act. Therefore, the daughter has no right to claim share in this property. 

Cancellation of sale deed

If you sell this land without partition the co-owners will  sue the purchaser and file a civil suit for the cancellation of sale deed. Without partition you cannot claim which portion of land belongs to you. Your possession is not defined yet. Hence, you cannot sell the land. 

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Father can transfer entire property to grandmother

My age is 16 and I’m the only son. My mother died 3 years back and so now my father is going to re-marry. It’s a very tough situation, my father says that he’ll give the entire property and assets to my grandmother and then she’ll give all that to me when I’m old enough. Everything we own is ancestral property but then there is also assets like gold or silver. So is there any chance that my stepmother can acquire all that and push me out. I’m scared please answer.

Tenant has made substantial changes in premises without permission of landlord

I am writing to seek your professional advice regarding a situation I am facing with my tenant. Over the past three years, my tenant has not paid rent, and I am concerned about the legal steps I can take to address this issue. Can I terminate the rent agreement based on this non-payment?

Additionally, I recently discovered that the tenant has undertaken significant alterations to the property without my knowledge or consent. This includes filling a large cavity, which seems to have resulted from his negligence. He has also installed an extra bathroom, toilet, and kitchen on the premises without obtaining proper authorization. It appears that he neglected to properly fill the trenches used to lay sewerage and water lines, leading to structural damage such as cracks in the walls and ceiling. He has written that he has spent on filling up the cavity but has not given details of expenses. However, he is trying to link it with non-payment of rent.

Given these circumstances, the tenant is now requesting extensive repairs to the property. I would like to mention that the tenant is 90 years old, and all of his sons have their own residences. It seems that he intends for his grandson to continue residing in the property as a tenant.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the legal options available to me in this situation. Your expertise and advice will be invaluable in helping me navigate this complex matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

P.S. How can I send the rent agreement cum compromise?

NOC from government for taking admission in foreign university

I am a govt servant and currently in a process of making applications to numerous foreign universities  for a PhD program.  I asked my organization for a general NOC applicable to all universities. They denied and asked me to mention the name of the university to which I am applying.  As currently I am in a process of making applications and my admission is not yet confirmed. I cannot mention a list of 10-50 universities in my application.  Kindly help me write an appeal / application for issuance of a general NOC.