Paid Advise

Whether my father can transfer all properties to his second wife

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: Father’s second wife is cheating my father and extorting money from him. My mother died in 2020 then my father solemnised a second marriage in 2021. Whether my father can transfer all properties to his second wife? That land is very dominating behaviour and entirely taken my father in her control. 

Now my father is going to register all properties in her name. She has been receiving pension and is the owner of a huge bungalow in posh area of New Delhi. Her previous husband was a government doctor and she was working in his clinic as a maid. 

Gradually she established sexual relationship with that doctor and finally compelled him to marry. Then she established sexual relationship with the son of that doctor (husband). That son was minor at that time. When this matter was disclosed then the doctor had divorce and given to her a huge amount at the time of divorce. 

He also transferred to her a bungalow situated in the posh area of New Delhi. After the divorce she married to an IPS officer and after his death she is receiving his pension. Now she is married to my father. My father is holding a higher post in the Indian Revenue Service. 

Recently they have gone on a holiday trip to the USA. i am not living with my father after his second marriage. I want to know whether my father can transfer all properties to his second wife.

Asked from: New Delhi

Your father can transfer his self acquired property to his second wife. Though he is the absolute owner of his self acquired property then he has unfettered right to alienate or transfer that property to anyone. 

You cannot stop your father from transferring his self acquired property to his second wife. So far as ancestral property is concerned you are the joining owner.

Hence, your father can transfer ancestral property to his second wife to the extent of his share only. He has to partition the ancestral property then he can transfer his share to any person. 

You are the absolute owner of your mother’s stridhan. Her property, movable or immovable, shall devolve upon you only. Your father has no right therein. 

If your father is transferring ancestral property or stridhan of your mother then you should immediately file a civil suit for the mandatory injunction. You can file that civil suit if you are afraid that your father can transfer those properties. 

Except the above mentioned rights you cannot enforce any other right against the property of your father. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application

Question: Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application. My Grandparents had 7 children and among them 4 sons and 3 daughters. Joint family property is around 130 acres which was divided among all family members under Registered Family Settlement (RFS) in 1972...

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Builder address not available for RERA filing 

Question: Can we file a case against the builder if his address is not available for RERA filing? Builder address given during registration not active. How to file a complaint to RERA if the builder address is not found to send a summon. He has left that office but...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.