Home | Legal Advice | Service Law Matters | Where to file a case when an armed forces officer is illegally dismissed from the service?

Where to file a case when an armed forces officer is illegally dismissed from the service?

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: My younger brother is an officer in the armed forces. He was detailed in the ground duty where some miscreants came in the camp and fought with the jawans. The incident happened when my younger brother had detained a local person for carrying illegal weapon made in Pakistan. That local person was very influential and a lot of people assembled and came to the camp. 

There was no adequate arrangement for tackling this kind of incident. Hence, my brother ordered the jawans to fire on the mob. Resultantly five people died. The chief took the cognisance of this incident and dismissed my brother from his service and sentenced him to jail for two years. I want to challenge this order. Where should I file the case?

Asked from: Punjab

You should file a case (OA- original application) before the Armed Forces Tribunal. The tribunal has the jurisdiction to adjudicate all disputes of officers working in armed forces.   

In L. Chandra Kumar v. Union of India (1997) 3 SCC 261; the hon’ble Supreme Court has held that statutory redressal mechanism cannot be aborted. 

The Armed Forces Tribunal is the Court of first instance to adjudicate service disputes of officers working in armed forces. Hence, you should exhaust the remedy provided under the Armed Forces Tribunal Act 2007.

You cannot file a case directly before the High Court to exercise its writ jurisdiction. Article 226 of the constitution vests writ jurisdiction in the High Court. If you want to challenge the decision of the chief you should file an OA before the tribunal instead of the High Court. 

In absence of the Armed Forces Tribunal ( statutory redressal mechanism) you can move a writ petition directly before the High Court. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Withholding of salary without any reason

Question: I've been on an unpaid service for last 3 months, progressing into 4th, purely on frivolous grounds, at the whims of accounting unit head,  without following due process of law, as laid down in Central Civil Services (Conduct) rules, without any...

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

Can the tehsildar issue a succession certificate?

Question: Whether Tehsildar is competent authority to issue succession certificate to collect life insurance policy. My father's insurance policy claim is matured and we are the legal heirs to collect that amount. Can the tehsildar issue a succession certificate?...

Cancellation of Sale Agreement

Question: Cancellation of sale agreement without consent of party. I executed an agreement of sale for a 497 sq.yards site with a condition that I will get clearance from ULC. I took advance of 2 lakhs cheque and 2 lakhs cash, totalling to 4 lakhs. It's been 22 months...

Landlord does not provide a rent receipt

Question: After making rent payment, the landlord does not provide a rent receipt. Also not picking up calls & responding to messages. What action can be taken against him? Asked from: Maharashtra You should send to him a legal notice on his residential or postal...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.