What to do against the false allegation


Question asked on: 10/07/2019

What should I do if someone is imposing the wrong section of IPC 506 charges against me who has not been done by me.

Advised by: Shivendra Pratap Singh,

Criminal intimidation is an offence under section 506 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). This non-cognisable and bailable offence. When criminal proceeding has initiated against you for criminal intimidation on the false ground, you have the right to challenge the legality of proceeding before the High Court.

The High Court has inherent power under section 482 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) to quash the false criminal proceeding. In  State of Haryana v. Bhajan Lal, 1992 Supp (1) SCC 335 the Supreme Court held that the court should exercise its inherent power either to prevent abuse of the process of any court or otherwise to secure the ends of justice.

File false FIR or Complaint is indeed an example of abuse of the process of the court. Filing a false complaint is an offence under section 196 of the IPC. At this stage, you have to approach the High Court for protection against abuse of process. When a person files a false complaint, he abuses the process of the court [Amanullah v. State of Bihar, (2016) 6 SCC 699].

In the Bhajan Lal case, the Supreme Court held that when allegation made in FIR or complaint is so absurd, and no prudent person can ever reach a just conclusion that there is sufficient ground for proceeding against the accused, then the court shall quash that proceeding.

You should file a petition before the High Court under section 482 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. If you have any documentary evidence to prove that the complaint is false and frivolous then it’ll be easy for the court to quash the proceeding. However, the court has the power to quash the proceeding sans any evidence. The court examines the complaint that prima facie any offence is made out of it. If the court finds that no crime is made out or the complaint is false, or allegation made with the ulterior motive to harass the petitioner, then the court shall quash the complaint.

Ask Your Question

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate, Lucknow

Advice: 17493

Consultation: 3402

Further investigation is being conducted with mala-fide intention

My girlfriend has filed a false case of sexual harassment. She filed FIR under section 354 A of the Indian penal code. Indeed, she induced me to establish a sexual relationship with the sole purpose to extort money. I trapped on the web; I had sent some WhatsApp...

Juvenile in absence of official record of age

How to determine the age of juvenile in absence of his official record of age? If there is no officially maintained a record regarding the date of birth of the accused who claims juvenile at the time of commencement of offence. Determination of his age on the date...

How to produce electronic document as evidence

I am an accused in a criminal case, and I want to produce some evidence which I stored in my laptop and pen drive. How to present that electronic evidence in the trial? What is the procedure for the production of electronic evidence? The advent of information...

Guidelines for arrest

The basic guidelines for arrest. Police are bound to follow it before making the arrest. Time and again the supreme court of India in its judgments make rule or guideline for arrest. Some important judgments are given below.  Joginder Kumar  Vs   State  of UP  ...

Government initiates recovery from pension

A Punjab Govt employee was guilty of embezzlement of govt money in departmental inquiry and punished with recovery of pecuniary loss caused to the govt. to the extent of 20 % (cut in pension ) for 5 years was being made from her pension. Now She was dead. Now the...

quick Advice

Get A Quick Advice

Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes

Talk to Advocate Shivendra

Book a phone consultation for 30 minutes and get solid advice on the phone

Book it Now