Home | Legal Advice | Property | What is called built-up area?

What is called built-up area?

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

Property | RERA

Reading Time:

Built-up area, also known as the plinth area, is a term used in real estate to refer to the total area of a building unit, including the area covered by the walls and the common areas such as hallways and stairwells. It is calculated by adding the carpet area (the area enclosed within the walls of the unit) to the area covered by the walls and common areas.

The built-up area is usually larger than the carpet area and it can include space that is not usable by the buyer, such as the thickness of the walls, corridors and staircases.

Built-up area is an important consideration for buyers, as it determines the total area of a unit. However, it’s important to note that the built-up area can be misleading for buyers, as it includes the area covered by the walls and common areas, which may not be usable by the buyer.

It’s important for buyers to consider the carpet area when comparing prices of different units, as it ensures that buyers are comparing units of similar size.

It’s also important for buyers to check the built-up area of the unit before purchasing the flat or house, to understand the total area of the unit and to ensure that they are not misled by the area which is not usable.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Consult on Criminal, Civil, Writ, Matrimonial, Service matters, Property, Revenue, SARFAESI related cases

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.