Unreasonable delay in civil suit

Question asked on: 15/09/2015

Sir i am working as inspector in police dept., in 2008 an old lady came with a complaint regarding some property dispute and status quo of shop with her sons, i was in charge of police post at that time, i went on spot and to prevent breach of peace i arrested his son and his two adult children under section 107/151 crpc.

Later on magistrate sent them to jail. His son whom i arrested then lodged a civil suit in sessions court & contempt at another lower court stating therein that despite court orders I deliberately arrested him, put him in lock up,tortured him and took money out of his pocket ( fake allegations in his petition),

I gave initial statement in court but then thinking that state counsel would follow the matter I forgot to follow the case, now ex-partie proceedings have been initiated against state being defendant no 1 in the case. This all happened because of the negligence of state counsel as he never attended the court.

Now I have engaged my personnel lawyer who gave an application before the court seeking request for exemption from ex–partie proceedings on certain grounds, till now the case is not being heard bcoz of certain reasons. pl. send some legal guidance and shall i wait for the outcome of the application or move to high court or is there any other remedy.

Advised by: Shivendra Pratap Singh,

First of all you should restore your case. Ex-parte decree may be set aside by the court on restoration application or qayami darkhwast. Give an application under section 151 CPC for speedy hearing of the case. This application may be filed before the same court or before the court of District Judge.

In Makhan Lal Bangal vs Manas Bhunia & Ors [2000] it is held by the Supreme Court that: “Speedy disposal is the cry of the day. Courts cannot act as silent spectators when evidence is being recorded. Judges must have full control over the file and effectively conduct proceedings keeping in view that no litigant has any such right as to waste the precious time of the court.”

There is catena of case in which directions are given by the apex court towards speedy hearing of civil suits. If your suit is pending because of adjournments passed by the court on many dates then you may take certified copies of order sheet and approach to either High Court or District court for expedition order. Then court is bound to hear the case without giving unreasonable adjournments.

Ask Your Question

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate, Lucknow

Advice: 16931

Consultation: 3367

Terminated from the job because did not submit resignation letter

I worked for an MNC company as a Manager. Despite my good performances, my corrupt seniors 1st put me on the bench (no work) for an extended period as I refused to join their evil plans, denied me an assignment and then I was terminated as I refused to submit...

Undertaking must be registered, attested and signed by parties

My father gave a loan to his friend and took an undertaking from him that he shall not sell the properties mentioned in the undertaking in currency of loan. But that undertaking is unregistered but signed by the borrower. Is it legally valid ? According to section 100...

Online trading of alcoholic liquors in India

Sir, I want to build an online beer store with a simple business plan: Users will come to my website, choose the products they want to buy, opt for cash on delivery. As per the user’s delivery address the nearest beer store would get a notification of the order...

Tenant not deposited due rent in eviction suit

I filed an eviction suit for eviction of tenant on several grounds and non payment of rent is one of them. Suit is filed under section 12(1); 12(3)(a); 12(4) Bombay rents hotel and lodging house rent control act 1947. Tenant has not been deposited due rent on serving...

lease and licence

Lease and licence To ascertain whether a document creates a lease and licence, the substance of the material must be preferred to the form. Whether they intended to create a lease of a licence. If the document creates an interest in the property, it is a lease; but if...

Consumer forum case is dismissed in default

I have filed a case before the consumer forum but due to nonappearance in the hearing my case is dismissed by the forum. Can I file another case before the consumer forum or file an appeal before the state consumer forum.  Your case is dismissed for default. According...

How much compensation would I get from MACT

I was a truck driver having licence of heavy vehicle from transport office. I met an accident in last year and my one leg and one hand are completely crushed. I was 28 years old at the date of accident. I had been in hospital for 15 months. I’m permanently disable to...

Neighbour causing nuisance in my property

Respected Sir / Madam , I have s strange problem due to my neighbors as they keep hammering out our flat with a hammer and same has been done since last 3 years. i have made NC to local police station along with NC for last 3 years i am also having Video record...

Judgment of supreme court has not been implemented yet

I retired from CWC, a Central Public Sector Unit; In pursuance of the Supreme Court Judgement dated 3-5-1990, employees drawing CDA Pattern pay Scales were to be switched over to IDA Pattern Pay Scales w.e.f. 1-1-1989 after calling for options. In respect of certain...

Breach of contract

एक आदमी ने एक कंपनी ज्वाइन की जिसके अपॉइंटमेंट लेटर में एक क्लोज था :- “You are expected to promote and expand the business of the company. you will not directly or indirectly, either solely or jointly, engage in any service or other business or profession whether...

quick Advice

Get A Quick Advice

Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes

Talk to Advocate Shivendra

Book a phone consultation for 30 minutes and get solid advice on the phone

Book it Now