Legal Advice

Triple talaq after the delivery of child is possible or not?

Question: I want to divorce my wife because she is a characterless lady. She is now pregnant and I am doubtful whether she is pregnant by me or any other else. In this situation the idea of divorce should be stayed. I want to know whether can I pronounce talaq after delivery of child according to the Muslim law applicable in Sunni Muslim in India?


In India, the personal laws governing divorce for Sunni Muslims are primarily governed by the Muslim Personal Law (Shariat) Application Act, 1937. Under this law, the concept of “talaq” exists, but it has undergone changes through subsequent legal developments.

In September 2021, the practice of “triple talaq” (pronouncing talaq three times in one sitting) was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court of India in 2017. This ruling stated that instant triple talaq is not a valid form of divorce and must be accompanied by appropriate legal procedures. The court directed the government to legislate on the matter.

The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act, 2019 was subsequently enacted to address the issue of instant triple talaq and make it a criminal offense. The act provides for imprisonment and a fine for any person who pronounces instant triple talaq.

I would be better for you to adopt the process of talaq-ul-sunnah and it is still a legal and valid process of pronouncement of talaq. Talaq-ul-Sunnah refers to the form of divorce prescribed in Sunni Islamic law, which follows the teachings and practices of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

Talaq-ul-Sunnah is considered the recommended or preferred form of divorce within Sunni Muslim jurisprudence. In Sunni Islamic law, Talaq-ul-Sunnah can be pronounced in two ways:

  1. Talaq-ul-Raj’i (revocable divorce): This form of divorce allows the husband to pronounce a divorce to his wife while she is in a state of purity (not menstruating) and without having had sexual intercourse during that period. Following the pronouncement of Talaq-ul-Raj’i, the wife enters into a waiting period called ‘Iddah, which lasts for three menstrual cycles or three months (whichever is longer). During this period, the husband has the right to revoke the divorce and reconcile with his wife without the need for a new marriage contract.
  2. Talaq-ul-Ba’in (irrevocable divorce): This form of divorce is a more severe and final form of divorce. It is pronounced when the husband intends to terminate the marriage irrevocably, without any possibility of reconciliation or revocation. Talaq-ul-Ba’in takes immediate effect, and the couple is permanently separated. Reconciliation is only possible if the wife subsequently marries another man, consummates the new marriage, and then becomes widowed or divorced from that subsequent husband.

It is important to note that the specifics of divorce procedures may vary depending on local customs, cultural practices, and interpretations of Islamic law within different Sunni schools of thought. Therefore, it is advisable to consult with a qualified Islamic scholar or a family law attorney well-versed in Islamic jurisprudence to obtain accurate and detailed guidance on divorce procedures specific to your situation.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Stepmother can get share in ancestral property after death of father

My stepmother is asserting her share in the ancestral property, currently registered under my late grandfather’s name, who passed away four years ago. The property is yet to be distributed, and my stepmother vacated our ancestral home three years ago, residing elsewhere with her daughter. The daughter, who lived with us before marrying 25 years ago and subsequently leaving our house, is now asserting her rights over the property. I seek advice on the validity of my stepmother and her daughter’s claim to my father’s property following his demise.

I lied to my boyfriend about my divorce now he refuses to marry

In 2017, I separated from an abusive marriage. After some time, I started dating someone. In 2021, I got divorced, but I didn’t disclose this to him because I was concerned that he might judge me. Now he is refusing to marry. We have been in a sexual relationship for three years. He is 23 years old and my age is 38. I love him because his sexual orientation meets my desire. How to initiate a legal process to compel him for marriage?

Can a single accused seek quashing of FIR

An FIR has been filed against four accused individuals, and Accused No. 4 possesses a distinct identity. Question: Is it possible for the High Court to quash the FIR only against Accused No. 4? An FIR has been registered, and a C-Summary has been submitted to the Honourable Magistrate. The complainant has filed a Protest Petition, leading the Honourable Magistrate to return the C-Summary to a new Investigating Officer for further inquiry. Question: At this stage, can the alleged Accused No. 4 seek relief by approaching the High Court to have his name quashed from the FIR?

School authorities are creating a private nuisance

I have been living in a residential area for more than 17 years. There is a school behind our house, and it does not have any wall connecting to our house. Recently, they have constructed a horse shed without any wall, using iron pillars. Now, I am unable to sleep in my bedrooms due to the horses kicking on my wall and the noises they create. Additionally, I am unable to use my rooftop because of the foul smell generated by their excreta. The condition of my wall is deteriorating due to this shed. I had previously approached the SDM office, but the opposing party allegedly bribed the official. What legal remedy should I pursue against the school authorities?

My wife and her family don’t allow me to meet my daughters

My wife and her family does not allow to meet my daughters since 1 year. My elder daughter is of 3 years and younger is of 10 months but they not allow me to meet them. many times me and my family members try to take her back to house but she demand to do property on her name .since 1 year she is with her parents she did not even tell me how is my daughter’s and did not allow to talk to them on call.

Husband denied to access my matrimonial home

I resided with my husband for a duration of five months in an apartment. The house is registered in the name of my father-in-law, yet my in-laws reside in a different state. I am the individual who invested all of my finances in the interior and household accessories for the house. This decision was made under the understanding that it is my residence, and consequently, I am accountable for its furnishings. I willingly accepted and utilized my entire salary for this purpose.

However, my husband is engaged in an extramarital affair and desires to marry his girlfriend. He is pressuring me to initiate a divorce and is also subjecting me to physical harassment. In response, I have filed for a Domestic Violence Complaint (DVC) seeking a residential order. Unfortunately, I am being denied access to my home, with the explanation that it belongs to my father-in-law. I am in need of assistance; please help me.

CO of the same regiment headed SCM: Can I challenge the proceedings of SCM?

I was detailed on duty on 2045 hours thereafter, an officer came and found me sleeping. He then slapped me and called me to appear in office on the next day. On the very next day that officer abused me then I slapped him in front of some other soldiers. This incident was recorded and SCM was recommended after the court of inquiry. The CO of the same regiment headed the SCM. He was biased and conducted one sided trial. Thereafter I am discharged from the service. My total length of service is thirteen years nine months sixteen days. Is there any change of reinstatement?

Terminated from service on the ground of bigamy

Enlisted in the Indian Army in 2001, I married in 2006. While on duty in Arunachal Pradesh, my wife engaged in an extramarital relationship with a civilian, prompting me to send a legal notice for divorce. We divorced in 2013 after she initially filed a divorce and maintenance case in 2010, which we later resolved through mutual consent. In the same year, she also accused me of bigamy, leading to termination from the Army. Seeking guidance on the appropriate course of action in this matter.