Paid Advise

Transfer cheque bounce case to my current place of living

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: I want to transfer cheque bounce case to my current place of living. I took a personal loan from Kotak Mahindra Bank for 4 lacs and had been paying EMI for up to 19 months and due to COVID and loss of job. After the moratorium, I am not able to pay my emi. But the bank bounced my cheque for the whole loan amount and filed 138 in Gujarat Ahmedabad.

I’m living in Tamil Nadu. The bank had processed the loan in Chennai. But they intentionally filed the case in Gujarat and harrassing me to repay the whole amount. The loan itself is an unsecured loan and loan tenure is upto 2024. My outstanding due is around 2 lacs but they bounced the cheque for the whole amount. 

They had collected my cheque for loan process and EMI before actual payment of loan amount. Please advise me in this regard sir. How to deal with this issue. Can I file any petition in Madras High court to change the case from Gujarat to my native or any way to deal with this.

Asked from: Tamil Nadu

You have given the cheque to the Kotak Bank for the security of your loan. That cheque was sent to the Kotak Bank’s office situated at Ahmedabad. On default of the loan the Kotak Bank has produced that cheque for the encashment in Ahmedabad Branch. 

After dishonour of that cheque the Kotak Bank has filed a complaint against you under Section 138 NI Act. The facts of your case suggest that there is no impediment or illegality in filing that case in Ahmedabad court.

The cheque bounce case is to be filed at the place where the cheque has been dishonoured. Territorial jurisdiction in respect of cheque bounce case is where the complainant (holder of cheque) keeps or maintains his bank account. That cheque was dishonoured at Ahmedabad where the complainant maintains bank account.

So, the forum and place of action are correct. Therefore, the court will not interfere in this matter. This case will not be transferred to the place where you are living. No need to file any transfer petition.

You have an alternate remedy i.e. compromise this issue with the bank You should approach the Bank and try to settle this issue with mutual agreement. In the settlement process, you should insure the bank that you’ll pay the outstanding along with the cost of litigation. If the Bank accepts your deal, then it may withdraw the case on the basis of that settlement. Otherwise you have to face the trial. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Can investigating officer send the document to FSL?

Question: Can investigating officer send the document to FSL? I am 75 years Retd ISRO scientist in Hyderabad.  Seeking your advice/suggestion/consultation on a small clarification. I had bought 1 Acr land  in 1997 and got it mutated in 2019. ROR is in my...

Prosecution sanctioned not in three months is it valid? 

Question: Prosecution sanction by competent authority is granted after lapse of stipulated period mandated and specified under Section 19 of the P. C. amendment act 2018. Prosecution sanctioned not in three months is it valid?  Whether the sanction is valid or...

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone?

Question: I am from Kolkata. my Phone has some last memories of my grandma. I lost my mobile on 16.05.2022 and my mobile rang for about 6 hours and then switched off. How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone? Obviously it's switched off by someone. I went to the local...

Can I file FIR against husband in delhi for bigamy?

Question: Our marriage solemnised in the UAE. My husband is working in the UAE. After I got married in UAE on 5th Feb 2022 I came to know that I have been cheated. My husband was married 2 times before Married to me. He has not dissolved his previous marriage. Can I...

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CDR?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

A guilty person can lodge an FIR

Question: I want to know if a guilty person can lodge an FIR? If I beat someone due to harassment or any other criminal activity and an FIR is lodged against me, can I still lodge an FIR against the person I have beaten for his activity? Asked from: West Bengal Guilty...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.