Paid Advise

Termination without notice

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

33507 Advices

41371 Consultations

Reading Time:

Question: I’m working in a private company under a work agreement. That contract does not allow the employer to fire the employee without expiration of notice period. My company has terminated. The termination is without notice. The company has fired me without notice and expiry of a thirty days notice period. What should I do when a company has breached the terms of a work contract? My total service period is sixty nine months. Does an employee have any right if he is fired in violation of the terms of agreement?

Questions from: Karnataka

Your service duration is sixty nine months. The employer cannot fire such an employee without compliance of the notice period. Compliance with the notice period is mandatory because it is mentioned in the work agreement. Both employer and employee are signatory then any deviation from the agreement is not possible. Thus the company cannot fire you in an arbitrary manner.

Termination of service without notice

If the employer suffers huge financial loss due to an illegal act of the employee then it can terminate the service without notice. In this situation the employer does not follow the notice period mentioned in the agreement. The employee works as an agent of the employer so he should not do any illegal act in the course of employment. If he did so he breached the agreement. Therefore, the employer can fire him without notice.

Also read: Termination of service on leave without permission

Termination after notice period

If there is no breach of agreement on the part of the employee the employer is bound to obey the terms of agreement. When an agreement explicitly mandates that the employer should follow the notice period before termination, he cannot terminate the service without notice. 

You did not breach the agreement. You have served the employer for more than five years. Such a long tenure of service itself proves that you are a good employee. Therefore, the responsibility lies upon the employer to give you a fair exit. The terms of agreement must be followed while terminating your services. If the employer wants to terminate you immediately he must pay the salary of thirty days. 

You should send a legal notice to the employer for breach of agreement. When notice period is mandatory its non performance will lead to a breach of agreement. Give a reasonable time to the employer to reply to your legal notice. You should seek a valid reason for termination and compensation for the non compliance of notice period. 

If the employer does not reply to your notice then you should file a case before the labour tribunal constituted under the Industrial Dispute Act. you are entitled to get salary for the notice period and compensation for the breach of agreement.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Can mental illness put a bar on holding sensitive posts?

Question: Can a patient of mental illness who is on regular medication become a member and chairman of child welfare, women welfare, juvenile justice board and handle such sensitive matters? Can mental illness put a bar on holding sensitive posts?  Asked from:...

Encroachment of the public paved road

Question: There is an encroachment of the public paved road. Can anyone occupy a 60-year-old paved public road by saying that this has been made wrong? What is the legality of the road in Indian law?  Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Public road is a public property...

How to get back money from my younger brother?

Question: How to get back money from my younger brother?. Younger brother demanded money from the older brother and gave some amount to him without any  paperwork. If the younger brother ignores or does not return the money, what action will the older brother take ?...

Section 38 of Specific Relief Act 1963

Section 38 Specific Relief Act Perpetual injunctions when granted (1) Subject to the other provisions contained in or referred to by this Chapter a perpetual injunction may be granted to the plaintiff to prevent the breach of an obligation existing in his favour,...

No EPF contribution by startup

Question: No EPF contribution by startup. I switched job in 2018 from a MNC to a startup with 20+ employees. The startup is not contributing to the EPF. At the time of joining they said I could opt out (basic salary 15k+) of it and I agreed and completed the...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.