Tenant filed a false suit against landlord


Question asked on: 08/10/2015

My tenant has filed a false suit in civil court when I gave him a notice to vacate my shop. He has not been paying rent since march 2014 and on repeated request to vacate my premises he always took time. In November 2014 I sent him a notice to vacate my shop but he filed a civil suit immediately after receiving the notice.

There was an agreement of lease and license for 11 months tenure and it is included that after expiry of tenure he shall be treated as trespasser. I obtained his signature on the agreement. He took plea that after expiry of agreement landlord has been receiving rent in every month. So tenancy is extended by his conduct.

But I have not received any rent after march 2014. I want to take back possession of the shop. What should I do?

Advised by: Shivendra Pratap Singh,

Section 91 Indian Evidence Act provides that when terms of the contract is reduced to form of a document then no evidence shall be given in proof of the terms of such contract. he may file false civil suit but eventually he will be defeated. According to your contract all the terms are included and agreed by both the parties.

There is no room for oral evidence regarding terms of contract. If he tries to adduce evidence that tenancy will be extended by payment of rent then it shall not be admitted by the court. According to the contract he shall be treated as trespasser and after expiry of 11 tenure contract became infructuous i.e. no effect.

If parties want to extend their relation as tenant and landlord then new contract should be executed. You had to sent notice immediately after completion of tenure. Because cause of action had arised on expiry of tenure. If you have any evidence regarding nonpayment of rent after expiry of tenure then you have to adduce it before the court.

You should file revision application before senior division court for setting aside the suit filed under order 4 cpc because tenant who is actually a trespasser has no right to file civil suit.

Ask Your Question

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate, Lucknow

Advice: 17493

Consultation: 3402

Online trading of alcoholic liquors in India

Sir, I want to build an online beer store with a simple business plan: Users will come to my website, choose the products they want to buy, opt for cash on delivery. As per the user’s delivery address the nearest beer store would get a notification of the order...

Step mother sold joint family property

My father has made a gift in favour of his second wife who is my stepmother thereupon she took possession over the property. She sold that property to his son-in-law thereafter my step-sister erected a house thereon. The property gifted was probably our joint family...

Get call details under RTI Act

Can I get call details under RTI Act? I want to call details and tower location of a person because he eloped my sister. He is studying in her class, and both were love to each other. They decided to marry, and for that purpose, my sister always pressurised my mother...

Part of house cannot be acquired under land acquisition act

Dear Sir In a land acquisition process I wil loose my 15 decimile land with some part of my home. A part of the house is acquired under land acquisition act. What is the compensation calculated towards my home? Whether govt will paid full compensation of my home or...

Consumer forum case is dismissed in default

I have filed a case before the consumer forum but due to nonappearance in the hearing my case is dismissed by the forum. Can I file another case before the consumer forum or file an appeal before the state consumer forum.  Your case is dismissed for default....

quick Advice

Get A Quick Advice

Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes

Talk to Advocate Shivendra

Book a phone consultation for 30 minutes and get solid advice on the phone

Book it Now