Home | Legal Advice | Property Law | Stepmother demanding full share in father’s property

Stepmother demanding full share in father’s property

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: Our property was transferred from pagdi to ownership and no registration was done in the name of my mother. Stepmother is demanding full share in father’s property. My mother died in 1999 and my father take noc from all children. Three sisters and 1 brother total 4 of us (all major) which was not registered only notarized  and become member of society. Society also transferred a share certificate in his name and he was remarried in 2008.

He passed away in 2022. My stepmother does not have any child. She had written a letter to society not to transfer the flat in his son’s name as she has legitimate right in property. Does she have a legitimate right, if yes then how much percentage ? If yes then can she make a gift or will and transfer her part of share to anybody from her side 

If yes then can we make any arrangement that she cannot gift or will her share to anyone other than legal heirs. Does society have the right to prevent legal heir membership on her letter ? How much right she will have as my step mother in my personal property after my death.

Asked from: Maharashtra

Your stepmother cannot claim full right in the property of her deceased husband. This property is not the self acquired property of your father. It was actually belonged to your mother. After her death your father got a share certificate from the society after obtaining no objection certificate from the legal heirs. 

That transfer paper is unregistered therefore, it has no legal validity in respect of transfer of right. Hence, your siblings and you are the legal heirs in respect of this property. Hence property will legally devolve upon all of you. Stepmother has no right in this property. 

Your deceased father died intestate i.e. without making a will. In absence of will the property will devolve in accordance with law of inheritance. Your stepmother does not come in the list of class one heirs. Therefore, she will not get any share in this property. 

In these circumstances you should file a declaratory suit under Section 34 of the Specific Relief Act. The court will declare your right. If you want partition then the court may also divide the property among each legal heir.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Builder address not available for RERA filing 

Question: Can we file a case against the builder if his address is not available for RERA filing? Builder address given during registration not active. How to file a complaint to RERA if the builder address is not found to send a summon. He has left that office but...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.