Home | Legal Advice | Maintenance Cases | Stepmother compelling my husband for maintenance

Stepmother compelling my husband for maintenance

Shivendra Pratap Singh


20/11/2019/ 1:26:11 PM

Reading Time:

My husband is working in Aditya college for 15000 per month. We have a baby 12 months old. We didn’t even own house to live. His stepmother is asking for maintenance 3000 every month. She is demanding to take responsibility for her daughter’s marriage, and they are creating badly on us. They do not agree to be with us what should I do.

According to section 125 of the code of criminal procedure (crpc), the stepmother cannot claim maintenance from stepson. You did not mention that your father-in-law is alive or stepmother has any source of income. A real mother can demand monetary assistance under section 125 crpc.

The stepmother can invoke this section only in exceptional conditions. When she is a widow or childless and has no source of income, then she can invoke section 125 crpc. In your case, the stepmother has a child who has attained the age of majority. Therefore, she has no right to compel your husband to pay maintenance or bear the marriage expenses of her daughter.

Section 125 crpc does not provide that a stepson maintains her stepmother, who has a real child. In the current scenario, the stepmother can seek maintenance from her daughter only.

Section 125 crpc makes the children liable to maintain their parents. The word children includes real son and daughter. If the stepmother is childless, then stepson comes under the meaning of children.

As far as your case is concerned, that lady has a child. Hence, your stepmother-in-law has no right to compel your husband for the maintenance. Her claim is not recognized under the provision of section 125 crpc.

You should avoid her claim, and if she is vigorously claiming or compelling, then you should file a case against her under section 506 of the IPC. She is alleging a false demand which is not tenable in the law.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Can I get maintenance from my unemployed husband

Can I get maintenance from my unemployed husband? My husband is unemployed due to heavy losses in business during the Covid period. He is still not working but capable of feeding his family. Recently he has developed an illegal relationship with his ex-employee and is...

A maintenance order without hearing the husband is void

The court cannot pass a maintenance order under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (crpc) without hearing or giving the opportunity of hearing to the husband. If the court did so, it has breached the principle of natural justice. The husband should file an application under section 126 crpc for setting aside that order. There is a period of limitation for filing of such an application u/s 126 crpc

Notice under section 128 crpc

I have received a notice under section 128 crpc. My wife filed a maintenance case under section 125 of the code of criminal procedure. The court has passed final order in that case to pay rupees seven thousand per month as a maintenance. This is too high maintenance...

लिव इन रिलेशनशिप में रहने वाली महिला मित्र भी भरण-पोषण का दावा कर सकती है

मैं पिछले 10 वर्षों से अपने पुरुष मित्र के साथ लिव इन रिलेशनशिप में रह रही हूं. मेरे एक 6 साल की बेटी भी है. विगत 3 महीनों से मेरा मित्र मुझे घर से निकालने का धमकी दे रहा है और उसने मुझसे सभी प्रकार के संपर्क समाप्त कर लिया है. कई बार मेरा उससे बहस होती है कि अब मैं...

Can educated wife claim maintenance under section 125 CRPC

मेरी पत्नी ने मेरे तथा मेरी मां के विरुद्ध घरेलू हिंसा का केस दर्ज किया था जो कि न्यायालय द्वारा 5 फरवरी 2020 को खारिज कर दिया गया है. इसके पश्चात मेरी पत्नी ने अपने मायके जाकर धारा 125 के अंतर्गत भरण पोषण का दावा किया है. मेरी पत्नी शैक्षणिक रूप से सक्षम है तो क्या...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.