Home | Legal Advice | Civil Law Cases | Stay of transfer

Stay of transfer

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Hello, an officer has transferred from our district who is a very good and honest officer. We are very happy because he had taken control of the crimes. But due to unfavourable with the present government he has been transferred. We have decided to file a petition before the high court for a stay of his transfer, we want to know that the public can file any petition for stay of the transfer.

Transfer and posting of an officer is the prerogative of the executive. It is an administrative order and the only executive can decide in this respect. However, in certain circumstances court can interfere but solely on the petition of the officer transferred.

Infringement of a right which is adjudicated by the court is an essential requirement for filing any suit or proceeding. A person aggrieved can file suit or seek remedy from the court.

In Sagir Ahmad vs State of Uttar Pradesh 1954 SC: the supreme court of India has held that the existence of the legal right is the foundation of the exercise of the writ jurisdiction by the court. The legal right that can be enforced must be the right of the opponent himself.

In A. Noor Khan Pathan vs State of Maharashtra 2013 (4) SCC: a stranger cannot be permitted to meddle in any proceeding unless he satisfies the court that he falls within the category of the aggrieved person.

Thus it is clear from the above discussion that a stranger, however, the general public of the city, cannot file a writ for a stay of an officer. It cannot be said that the public is the aggrieved party due to the transfer of an officer. It is presumed that every officer is honest and dedicated to the service of people.

It would be very tough for you to prove your locus standi in the writ petition, therefore it is likely to be dismissed by the court. You cannot file writ so leave this matter in the hand of the executive because it has vast power regarding transfer and posting of officers. Government is the fit authority to decide the welfare of the public and in the interest of public an officer may be transferred by the government.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

Can the tehsildar issue a succession certificate?

Question: Whether Tehsildar is competent authority to issue succession certificate to collect life insurance policy. My father's insurance policy claim is matured and we are the legal heirs to collect that amount. Can the tehsildar issue a succession certificate?...

Cancellation of Sale Agreement

Question: Cancellation of sale agreement without consent of party. I executed an agreement of sale for a 497 sq.yards site with a condition that I will get clearance from ULC. I took advance of 2 lakhs cheque and 2 lakhs cash, totalling to 4 lakhs. It's been 22 months...

Landlord does not provide a rent receipt

Question: After making rent payment, the landlord does not provide a rent receipt. Also not picking up calls & responding to messages. What action can be taken against him? Asked from: Maharashtra You should send to him a legal notice on his residential or postal...

Forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender

Question: I am a contractor and have some tenders in BHEL. The Bhel has forfeited earnest money because I have withdrawn a tender. So I want to know whether forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender is legal in India. BHEL has published tenders for the...

Arbitration in respect of non-arbitrable issues

Question: Some tenders were issued during last financial year. Tenders were in respect of fencing and drainage on both sides of the road. The department has allotted those tenders to my company. Company has to conduct a survey of land and demarcate slope angle for the...

Mud road on my land :  How to get it back?

Question: Government has laid a mud road on my land a few years ago. I have all documents stating the land where the road is laid belongs to me. We do not know about this. How to get my land back? I have all documents stating the land where the road is laid belongs to...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.