Instant Advise

Signature of witness required to probate a notarized will?

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: I want to know whether the signature of a witness is required to probate a notarized will. I purchased a property and the owner left me a notarized will. He gave me the right for transfer, sale, mortgage. Her legal  heir (2 sons) have no intention to get that property. Her 2 sons are the only witness of the will. One son has died. 

My question is, can I the sole executor can probate the will with a death certificate? Will I require a witness’s signature ? I am worried that the witness who is also the legal heir can refuse to be a witness or even ask money to testify when probating the will ?

Question from: West Bengal

You are a sole executor of the will and probate is mandatory in the State of West Bengal. Thus you should file a petition in the court of the District Judge for the grant of probate. You have to produce in the court the original will and death certificate of the testatrix. 

The court will issue a notice to the legal heirs of testator/testatrix (maker of will). In your case, the legal heirs of the testatrix are the witnesses. They have attested the will and they never raised any objection about the authenticity of will. 

Whether signature of witness is required for probate

Signature of witness is not required for the filing of a probate petition. You are an executor of the will therefore, you should take a probate. You are not bound to produce the signature of witnesses. File a probate petition along with these documents:

  • Original will
  • Death certificate of testator
  • Court fee
  • Name and address of testator’s legal heirs

The legal heir cannot ask money for verification of will. This will is already registered and attested in the due course of law. Therefore, it proves that the will is genuine. If there is any doubt or suspicion the legal heir will raise an objection. When the court will notice the legal heir then he can either accept the will or raise an objection. In case of objection the court will convert the probate petition into a regular civil suit.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Can a tenant refuse to vacate an allotted house?

Question: Can a tenant refuse to vacate an allotted house? Our father had purchased 3 houses together in a colony, more than 50 years ago. Two on the ground floor, in which we were already living there on rent. And One house is on top of these two houses. A tenant...

First Name is missing in jamabandi 

Question: Respected Sir, I bought a flat in 2018. Now we had applied for renovation loan from bank and for that when we were collecting the required documents. It came to our knowledge that jamabandi had only my surname and operator missed to enter my first name in...

Can I transfer a demat account without a probate?

Question: Can I transfer a demat account without a probate? My father had made me (his son) as nominee on his demat account. However as per his will this account should be given to his grandson (my son). Bank wants a probate of the will. However as per his will this...

Can a mother gift self-acquired property to her grandson?

Question: My mother has a self-acquired property and also got property of my father. My father died in 2006 without making a Will.  However, the khatha has been transferred in my mother's name. We have a family of 3 people. Can a mother gift self-acquired property to...

Repossession of flat let out on rent since 1968 

Question: I own a flat of 600 sq ft in a cooperative housing society in ghatkopar west. Repossession of flat let out on rent since 1968. My grandmother had let it out in 1968, the rent was fixed at rs 120 pm and ever since then it continues till date. The share...

My father did not do mutation 

Question: My father did not do mutation after purchasing a land. A plot purchased by my father in 1991. He died in 2017 with no mutation etc done on this property due to some family disputes. Now I got information that this property of my father is sold and my family...

Can conveyance deed be done with the developer ?

Question: Cooperative Housing society is on 98 years leased land. Property is going for redevelopment. Can conveyance deed be done with the developer.?  Builder is going to give freehold ownership flats to tenants. Builder is asking us, who are the landowners, to do a...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.