Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Should I divorce my husband on my boyfriend’s instigation?

Should I divorce my husband on my boyfriend’s instigation?

My boyfriend instigates me to divorce my husband. Therefore, I left my husband’s house at the instigation of my boyfriend. He told me to leave the house of the husband and remarry with him. Thereafter, I willingly left the husband’s house with the self-declaration at the police station that I left it with my free will. The Woman willfully left her husband’s house and decided to stay at a relative’s house and later wants to remarry after filing a divorce. Can the husband of the woman file a case against her lover after she left her husband’s house?

Question from: Tripura

Your boyfriend has enticed you to leave the matrimonial home and marry him after taking a divorce. When you take divorce from the court then you’ll be free to marry with your consent and free will. The nature and status of marital relationship come to an end after the granting of the divorce decree. Then your husband cannot take any action against you and your boyfriend. 

Until the divorce you are the legally married wife and your husband is your legal guardian. The law presumes that you have been living in the custody of your husband. It does not matter that you have been living separately from your husband. Mere planning to marry after taking divorce through legal channels does not constitute any offence. 

When you contact your boyfriend or be in any relationship with him then your husband can lodge an FIR against your boyfriend, under section 498 of the Indian Penal Code. Taking away or enticing a married woman for an illicit relationship is an offence under section 498 IPC. However, you are also involved in this crime but the criminal proceeding will be initiated against your boyfriend only. He is the real culprit of the offence punishable under section 498 IPC.

What should you do?

You should not rely on your boyfriend and don’t indulge in his conspiracy. He has the criminal intention, resultantly his act will ruin two families, their dreams and aspirations. You are at the verge where your decision may save or destroy your life. So think about your life and you should keep faith in your husband and this pious nuptial knot. 

Marriage is not only a relationship, if your husband is honest, loving and caring then he’ll give you more happiness than your boyfriend. Don’t ruin your present for an uncertain and indeterminate future. Don’t let your boyfriend play your life like chessmen. Why do you believe in a person having such a criminal and nefarious intention?

Lawyer’s advice

Embezzlement of paid electricity bills

Complaints regarding embezzlement of paid electricity bills were made by consumers in the division office of the electricity board against lower class employees. Statements of consumers were recorded in the division office. After that an FIR was lodged against the...

Contradiction in dying declaration : chances of conviction

Question: My brother is accused in a murder case. He is innocent but the police have falsely implicated him in this case. The dying declaration of the deceased does not support his role in the murder of Ramnaresh Kushwaha. There is a contradiction in the dying...

Friend filed criminal case of cheating : What I should do?

Question: I am doing a business of terrace farming. My friend is a partner in my business. He does not help me but comes on each week to take his share in profit. Yesterday he filed a false criminal case of cheating in XXX police station. He has alleged in the FIR...

Can I challenge the validity of sanction for prosecution?

Question: I want to challenge the validity of sanction for prosecution. The CBI obtained the sanction for prosecution by force and using undue means. My superior officer was working under pressure of the CBI and granted the sanction prosecution. Now I have retired and...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.