Paid Advise

Shared ex-girlfriend’s contact number on whatsapp group

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

Criminal Law

Reading Time:

I had shared ex-girlfriend’s contact number on WhatsApp group of a call girl. I have 6-7 contacts saved in my contact list as call girls and they are a professional escort. After 2 days I received abusive messages on my Facebook messenger and WhatsApp. All those guys also sent me 2 screenshots.

Those people told me that they will file FIR against me in the police station, crime branch and women cell. They were using all abusing words for my parents and family. To which I told if you have anything with me keep my family away, he continued using aggressive and abusing language for my mother, father and sister.

Actually, my ex-girlfriend is the wife of one of that person. I have mistakenly shared her mobile number on the WhatsApp chat of call girls. Now her husband wants to file a case against me for sharing her number in WhatsApp group.

Question from: New Delhi

You knew that it is Whatsapp chat of call girls despite that you had shared her mobile number. This act proves that you have knowingly shared her number to pretend her as a call girl. Thus, you have committed the offence when you shared ex-girlfriend’s contact number on WhatsApp group. It is an offence under section 354-D, 500 & 509 of the Indian Penal Code as well as under Section 67-A of the Information & Technology Act.

You have insulted the modesty of your ex-girlfriend

You have insulted the modesty of your ex-girlfriend hence, you have committed the offence under section 509 of the IPC. Disrespecting a woman is an offence of defamation under section 500 of IPC. You have shared her number in that chat group with the intention that someone may call on her mobile and advance his sexual desire. Her husband has the right to initiate criminal proceeding against you. He can lodge an FIR under aforesaid sections. 

Electronic evidence will prove your guilt

Electronic evidence will play a crucial role in your case. You can not deny the fact that you have shared her contact number because the source of information is stored in the internal memory of your mobile phone. The investigating officer will fetch that information from your mobile even you have deleted all the records.

The privacy policy of WhatsApp clearly shows that the messages are encrypted with no third party, not even WhatsApp, can read the transmitted messages. Therefore, you cannot say that someone other has sent her contact number in WhatsApp chat. Information shared on the WhatsApp is an electronic evidence and admissible under section 65-B of the Indian Evidence Act. So, this electronic will prove your guilt and you cannot deny the truth of this evidence.

Settle this matter out of the court

You should apologise for your bad conduct and say sorry to your ex-girlfriend. Her husband has not been filed any FIR against you so you have an opportunity to settle this matter out of the court. You are responsible for your conduct and you also know that it is an offence. So it would be good to say sorry for all that acts and compromise the issue before the filing of FIR. If her husband files FIR then you cannot compromise because some of these offences are non-compoundable.


shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Quashing of first information report (FIR)

Question: I want the quashing of the first information report (FIR). A false first information report FIR has been lodged against me by the university. There are three students who are working on a project in association with me. I am the senior most of them hence,...

Threatening woman on revealing the truth to family 

Question: A man is threatening a woman on revealing the truth to her family. I'm a husband. I'm writing this for my wife. She had an affair with a person and she also helped him with money in his difficult time without informing me. Few days back she apologised...

In 498A, will my family get arrested?

Question: In 498A, will my family get arrested? My wife has filed a false case against my family. She wanted to marry her friend but due to pressure from her father she married me. There is no fault from my side but due to the whim of my wife my family is facing...

Can I file a complaint against the family court?

Question: Can I file a complaint against the family court? Asked from: Kerala You can file a complaint against the sitting subordinate court judge for his misconduct or dishonest conduct in dealing lawsuits. But you must have credible and clinching evidence to prove...

Section 383 Indian Penal Code: Extortion

Section 383: Extortion Whoever intentionally puts any person in fear of any injury to that person, or to any other, and thereby dishonestly induces the person so put in fear to deliver to any person any property or valuable security or anything signed or sealed which...

My sister is being mental harassed by her ex-boyfriend 

Question: My sister was in a relationship for 7 yrs and after that she decided to part ways with boyfriend due to some issues. My sister is being mental harassed by her ex-boyfriend. She was informed this in 2020 and after that asked him not to contact him. He visited...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.