Legal Advice

Share distribution of ancestral property on the advice of stepmother


My father got married after my mother's death and at present having 2 daughters both unmarried over the age of 30 plus. He wants share distribution of ancestral property on the advice of stepmother. I am the only son from my father's first marriage. Now my stepmother is forcing my father to distribute property equally into 3 parts. Property is ancestral not acquired by father himself. They want to misutilized property for themselves and force my father to transfer his portion. Is it possible if yes, what is the right and legal way of distribution. Please guide me. 


Your father’s second marriage is legal. The children born out of the wedlock of the second marriage are legitimate. There are four coparceners. Your two stepsisters, your father and you are the coparceners. Hence, the ancestral property shall be divided in four parts, your father and three coparceners.

The ancestral property shall devolve upon the coparceners only. Your stepmother cannot claim any share therein. This is an exclusive property because it gives coparceners a right by birth. Even father cannot take away the rights of coparcener.

After the partition, the nature of ancestral property will change. It will become the personal property of each coparcener. If your father wants to bequeath or gift his share to his two daughters, he can do so by making a Will or a gift deed.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Father can transfer entire property to grandmother

My age is 16 and I’m the only son. My mother died 3 years back and so now my father is going to re-marry. It’s a very tough situation, my father says that he’ll give the entire property and assets to my grandmother and then she’ll give all that to me when I’m old enough. Everything we own is ancestral property but then there is also assets like gold or silver. So is there any chance that my stepmother can acquire all that and push me out. I’m scared please answer.

Tenant has made substantial changes in premises without permission of landlord

I am writing to seek your professional advice regarding a situation I am facing with my tenant. Over the past three years, my tenant has not paid rent, and I am concerned about the legal steps I can take to address this issue. Can I terminate the rent agreement based on this non-payment?

Additionally, I recently discovered that the tenant has undertaken significant alterations to the property without my knowledge or consent. This includes filling a large cavity, which seems to have resulted from his negligence. He has also installed an extra bathroom, toilet, and kitchen on the premises without obtaining proper authorization. It appears that he neglected to properly fill the trenches used to lay sewerage and water lines, leading to structural damage such as cracks in the walls and ceiling. He has written that he has spent on filling up the cavity but has not given details of expenses. However, he is trying to link it with non-payment of rent.

Given these circumstances, the tenant is now requesting extensive repairs to the property. I would like to mention that the tenant is 90 years old, and all of his sons have their own residences. It seems that he intends for his grandson to continue residing in the property as a tenant.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the legal options available to me in this situation. Your expertise and advice will be invaluable in helping me navigate this complex matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

P.S. How can I send the rent agreement cum compromise?

NOC from government for taking admission in foreign university

I am a govt servant and currently in a process of making applications to numerous foreign universities  for a PhD program.  I asked my organization for a general NOC applicable to all universities. They denied and asked me to mention the name of the university to which I am applying.  As currently I am in a process of making applications and my admission is not yet confirmed. I cannot mention a list of 10-50 universities in my application.  Kindly help me write an appeal / application for issuance of a general NOC.