Paid Advise

Senior officer has converted my character roll entry from outstanding to satisfactory

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: One of my senior officers is not happy with my action against the defaulter contractor. My project manager has assessed my character roll and entered as outstanding because I have completed the project work before time. I have tightened the control over the defaulter contractor and cancelled their contract and recovered a huge amount from them. The effect of my action bound the other contractor to accomplish the work before time.  The managing director has converted my character roll entry from outstanding to satisfactory without my knowledge. Therefore, it’ll affect my timely promotion. Sir please suggest what I should do in this case? 

Asked from: Rajasthan

You should prefer a representation before the superior officer than the Managing Director. Make a prayer to restore the entry made in your character roll because that entry has been converted or downgraded without your knowledge. When the concerned officer does not act on your representation within a month then you should file an original application before the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT). 

In Dev Dutt vs. Union of India (2008) 2 SCC 725 the Supreme Court has held that fairness and transparency in public administration requires that all entries (whether poor, fair, average, good or very good) in the annual confidential report of a public servant, whether in civil, judicial, police or any other State service (except the military), must be communicated to him within a reasonable period so that he can make a representation for its up-gradation.

The principle of non arbitrariness in State action as envisaged by Article 14 of the Constitution in our opinion requires such communication. Article 14 will override all rules or government orders. The State must be a model employer, and must act fairly towards its employees. Only then would good governance be possible.

Dev Dutt vs. Union of India (2008) 2 SCC 725

If there is no reason behind such a downgrade entry in character roll it renders the action arbitrary. An arbitrary action is against the principle of equality therefore, violates the Article 14 of the Constitution of India. 

Also Read: Can the government equate the two posts?

The Hon’ble High Court of Allahabad in Surendra Kumar vs. State of U.P. and others, 2006 (3) UPLBEC 2834 has held that not giving any reason for converting the entry in character roll violates the principles of natural justice and fair play and as such is not justifiable in law.

Therefore, you should file a representation as soon as possible. Your prayer to modify the entry in your character role from satisfactory  to outstanding is well founded. After non-action or bad-action of the concerned officer regarding entry in your character roll, you should prefer an OA before the CAT.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Reinstatement after the acquittal in a criminal case

Question: I want to know whether reinstatement after the acquittal in a criminal case is possible. Some imported clothings was seized during the search operation. Those goods were kept in the godown operating under the control of the state government. After a few days...

Departmental inquiry can be initiated after FIR

Question: Departmental inquiry has been initiated against me after the recording of FIR. That FIR is false and frivolous because it is very much influenced by the political vendetta. Since I am a General Manager (Project) and have issued several contracts to the...

Order of dismissal without giving any reason

Question: I have been dismissed on the oral complaint but nowhere that complaint is mentioned in the dismissal order. That order of dismissal was passed without giving any reason. The departmental inquiry is initiated without recording formal complaint and information...

Reduction of age criteria in bank examination

Question: Sir, recently the State Bank of India released notification for clerical posts. Till now for the age criteria the reference month is April, but this time without prior notice they've changed it to August. This will make many candidates who are born prior to...

Withholding of salary without any reason

Question: I've been on an unpaid service for last 3 months, progressing into 4th, purely on frivolous grounds, at the whims of accounting unit head,  without following due process of law, as laid down in Central Civil Services (Conduct) rules, without any...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.