Home | Legal Advice | Property Law | Seller is not refunding earnest money even though he has less area of land

Seller is not refunding earnest money even though he has less area of land

Shivendra Pratap Singh


27/04/2022/ 11:21:17 AM

Reading Time:

Question : The measurement of land mentioned in the sale agreement is 3000sq feet. Out of which the seller has made an agreement to sell 500 sq feet of land. Seller is not refunding earnest money even though he has less area of land. With another seller and out of the remaining 2500 sq.feet of land ,the seller has occupied 200sq.feet of land without any documents. What to do if after the unregistered sale of the agreement the  buyer wants  back the earnest money because a portion of the land mentioned in the agreement to sale does not belong to the seller and the seller refuses to return the token money?

Asked from: Karnataka

The seller has breached the agreement to sell. He has less area of land in his ownership than the area mentioned in the agreement. Therefore, he is not in position to transfer the area of land as agreed between the parties. 

Hence, this agreement is not enforceable. Seller has committed fraud and this agreement is void. In this situation the seller will not only refund the earnest money but he has to compensate you. 

You should send a legal notice to the seller and demand the refund of earnest money with 18% interest. If he refuses to comply with the notice then you should file a civil suit for the:

  • Recovery of earnest money, 
  • Interest thereupon, 
  • Compensation for mental agony 
  • Cost of the litigation 

The seller has no right to hold the earnest money. If the agreement is enforceable and the buyer is not ready to purchase then the seller can forfeit the earnest money. When the seller makes a false promise in the agreement he loses his rights under the agreement. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Builder address not available for RERA filing 

Question: Can we file a case against the builder if his address is not available for RERA filing? Builder address given during registration not active. How to file a complaint to RERA if the builder address is not found to send a summon. He has left that office but...

Stepmother demanding full share in father’s property

Question: Our property was transferred from pagdi to ownership and no registration was done in the name of my mother. Stepmother is demanding full share in father’s property. My mother died in 1999 and my father take noc from all children. Three sisters and 1 brother...

My neighbour’s window shutters are opening in my area

Question: My neighbour's window shutters are opening in my area of boundary, he has not left adequate setbacks.  His solar pipes are continuously leaking into our entrance passage.  Even on request he is not doing anything about these problems. Please...

Housing society is demanding extra charges for car parking

Question: I have a flat in the apartment. The housing society has provided me with one car parking in the basement. I have three cars and two of them have been parked in the common area. Now the housing society is demanding extra charges for car parking in the common...

My elder brother trying to grab our joint family property

Question: My elder brother is trying to grab our joint family property. He said that the property is a self acquired property of our father. My grandfather had purchased land and built a small house thereon. His family was living in that house. Later on my father...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.