Apr 14, 2021 | Legal Advice

Sarpanch has blocked the road without any survey and legal notice

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Home | Advice | Legal Advice | Sarpanch has blocked the road without any survey and legal notice

Our farm land (1.35 acre) is second bit to the road and 1st bit is government land (13 guntas). We have been passing through government land for past 3 years and the earlier farmer who sold land to us had been passing through that land more than 10 years. Now the village Sarpanch has blocked the road without any survey and legal notice.

Question from: Telangana

Village Sarpanch has no power to block the road because that land has been used as a road for very long time. The general public have accrued an easement in respect of that land. There is no approach road to access your land. In this situation you have the right to access you land through that government land.

You should move an application to the Tehsildar against the illegal act of Sarpanch. Though, it is a government land and Sarpanch has the right to protect each an every government property vested or situated in his village. But, he can exercise this power against the encroachment on the government land. There is no encroachment but it has been used by public from so many years.

Tehsildar will direct the Sarpanch to unblock the road because you have no other way or road to access your field. The Government issues a notice to the person encroaching a government land and that notice is issued by the Tehsildar. Tehsildar issues that notice either upon a report of Lekhpal or a complaint from villagers including Sarpanch. There is no notice issued against you. So, you should approach the concerned Tehsildar for issue a proper order in your case.

File a complaint against the act of Sarpanch

You should immediately make a complaint before the Collector against such an illegal act of Sarpanch. Collector is the custodian of government land. He has the power to restrict arbitrary action of a person in respect of government land. This is an arbitrary action which is illegal in the eyes of law. You have accrued a right of easement in that land because you have been using that land for long time.

Other advice 

Someone threatens to demolish our property

Someone threatens to demolish our property which is in possession for 50 years. There was a plot of 22 decimal, in which my father got ownership of 20 decimal. 2 decimals. plot couldn't be written to anyone (might by mistake). But still in our possession since then....

Right of daughter in coparcenary property

I want to know about the right of daughter in the father's property. Respected Sir, I need your valuable suggestions towards property rights of my mother and her sister. Their grandfather had few agriculture land and home property. He had settled those property among...

How to get duplicate copies of property

I want duplicate copies of property which I have received after death of my parents and siblings. It was self acquired property of my father and after his death it devolved upon my brother. He is died in an accident thereafter I am the sole legal heir. My deceased...


Spring Greens Apartment
Ayodhya Road