Legal Advice

Sale deed time out


We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided registration date but they were absent. Now if they ask for the registration are we still the owner? Or should we ask for the hiked price of our land over these years?


When the company was paying sale consideration in instalments and 30% payment is still pending, it renders that the sale deed has not been executed. In absence of sale deed the ownership has not been transferred to the company. 

You are still the owner of that land because the buyer has not paid the entire sale consideration. Your legal status (owner of the land) does not change however, you have accepted a partial amount of sale consideration.

The company is not traceable and also not paying instalments. Rate of property is going up day by day. So, in this situation you should initiate proper legal proceedings against the company because the company has breached the agreement. 

The deadline for complete payment has been exhausted because the company was absent on the date fixed for the registration or execution of sale deed. Therefore, there is no need to give extra time to the company for the compliance of agreement.  

You should send a legal notice to the known address of the company and inform him that due to breach of agreement on your part, the sale agreement is cancelled and the entire sale proceeds have been forfeited. 

Thereafter you are free to sell the land to any other buyer. If the company responds then you are entitled to sell the land at the current market rate. The rate mentioned in the sale agreement will not apply because that agreement is not enforceable by the company. After breach of the agreement the company cannot enforce it even through the court. 

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Father can transfer entire property to grandmother

My age is 16 and I’m the only son. My mother died 3 years back and so now my father is going to re-marry. It’s a very tough situation, my father says that he’ll give the entire property and assets to my grandmother and then she’ll give all that to me when I’m old enough. Everything we own is ancestral property but then there is also assets like gold or silver. So is there any chance that my stepmother can acquire all that and push me out. I’m scared please answer.

Tenant has made substantial changes in premises without permission of landlord

I am writing to seek your professional advice regarding a situation I am facing with my tenant. Over the past three years, my tenant has not paid rent, and I am concerned about the legal steps I can take to address this issue. Can I terminate the rent agreement based on this non-payment?

Additionally, I recently discovered that the tenant has undertaken significant alterations to the property without my knowledge or consent. This includes filling a large cavity, which seems to have resulted from his negligence. He has also installed an extra bathroom, toilet, and kitchen on the premises without obtaining proper authorization. It appears that he neglected to properly fill the trenches used to lay sewerage and water lines, leading to structural damage such as cracks in the walls and ceiling. He has written that he has spent on filling up the cavity but has not given details of expenses. However, he is trying to link it with non-payment of rent.

Given these circumstances, the tenant is now requesting extensive repairs to the property. I would like to mention that the tenant is 90 years old, and all of his sons have their own residences. It seems that he intends for his grandson to continue residing in the property as a tenant.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the legal options available to me in this situation. Your expertise and advice will be invaluable in helping me navigate this complex matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

P.S. How can I send the rent agreement cum compromise?

NOC from government for taking admission in foreign university

I am a govt servant and currently in a process of making applications to numerous foreign universities  for a PhD program.  I asked my organization for a general NOC applicable to all universities. They denied and asked me to mention the name of the university to which I am applying.  As currently I am in a process of making applications and my admission is not yet confirmed. I cannot mention a list of 10-50 universities in my application.  Kindly help me write an appeal / application for issuance of a general NOC.