Right to pension


Question asked on: 04/03/2019

I was a public servant and retired from the post of superintendent engineer. No departmental inquiry was set up against me for the alleged misappropriation of government fund from the state treasury. My pension and gratuity are stopped without any reasonable cause. It is a clear violation of the right to a pension of the employee. Please advice. 

Advised by: Shivendra Pratap Singh,

The pension is not a bounty payable on the sweet will and the pleasure of the Government. The right to a pension is a valuable right of the employee because he earns these benefits by dint of his long, continuous, faithful and unblemished service. 

The employer must initiate a departmental inquiry against the delinquent employee and conclude it within the shortest period. 

The state and central governments have made various rules and regulations for withholding or reduction of pension. Article 309 of the constitution empowers the Parliament or the State Legislature to make such rules. Such laws are made with a view to recovering the loss of government exchequer from a public servant. 

Article 309 does not confer arbitrary and unfettered right to withhold pension and retiral benefits of a government servant. 

In State of U.P. v. Brahm Datt Sharma [(1987) 2 SCC 179], the Supreme Court has held that the Government is entitled to recover the pecuniary loss from the government servant. The government can initiate a departmental proceeding against the public servant even after his retirement. Government is entitled to withhold, reduce or recover the loss suffered by it by forfeiture or reduction of pension if he is found guilty.

Pension and gratuity is a statutory right

The employee’s right to pension and gratuity is a statutory right. In your case, the order to withhold the pension and gratuity as a measure of penalty is illegal. Because such order or measure of punishment cannot be passed without complying due process of law.

The government while passing such order must follow the rule of natural justice. 

Right to property is still a constitutional right, and each administrative order must follow the rule of natural justice. If pensioner found guilty in a departmental or judicial proceeding, then the Governor can withhold pension and order for recovery from his pension. The findings of grave misconduct or negligence during the period of his service is essential for stopping retiral dues.

In State Of Jharkhand & Ors vs. Jitendra Kumar Srivastava [(2013) 12 SCC 210];the Supreme court of India observing that

Gratuity and pension are employee’s hard earned benefits. His right to receive pension is in the nature of “property” hence protected under article 300 A

The Court further held that the government could not take away this right because of pending departmental or criminal proceedings. Performance of due process of law as per the provisions of Article 300 A of the Constitution of India is mandatory for such order.

In this scenario, you should file a writ petition before the High Court under article 226 of the constitution of India and challenge this order of withholding your pension and retiral benefits without finding you guilty of grave misconduct.

Ask Your Question

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate, Lucknow

Advice: 17493

Consultation: 3402

performance of contract

I have joined the affiliated non govt. aided college as assistant professor on uncovered post (i.e. college has to pay) on the pay grade of 15600-39100 + AGP 6000 with agreement done on 01-08-2013. I have done my probation of 2 years with pay 21600 which was completed...

Protected: Lawyers can practice in any court

Password Protected

To view this protected post, enter the password below:

Rejection of plaint

According to section section 4 and 5-A of Maharashtra Restoration of land to Scheduled Tribes Act 1974 a land purchased from tribal owner by a non tribal between 1957 to 1974 is entitled to restore in the tribal person by the order of collector. Collector is empowered...

Unauthorised Leave

Sir, If any one working in State Bank Of India at a clerical post applies for UPSC or State civil services is it necessary to take prior permission of competent authority for appearing said examination , if not taken and applies for two days of casual  leave to appear...

Unreasonable delay in civil suit

Sir i am working as inspector in police dept., in 2008 an old lady came with a complaint regarding some property dispute and status quo of shop with her sons, i was in charge of police post at that time, i went on spot and to prevent breach of peace i arrested his son...

quick Advice

Get A Quick Advice

Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes

Talk to Advocate Shivendra

Book a phone consultation for 30 minutes and get solid advice on the phone

Book it Now