Paid Advise

Right of daughter in coparcenary property

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

I want to know about the right of daughter in the father’s property. Respected Sir, I need your valuable suggestions towards property rights of my mother and her sister. Their grandfather had few agriculture land and home property. He had settled those property among his four sons equally using a “kurra cettu” – local agreement during 1966. One of the sons is my maternal grand father. He had 3 sons and 2 daughters (including my mother). Recently came to know that he has executed a family settlement deed to the sons equally. My mother and her sister did not aware of it and they had registered the property in the registrar office in 2013.

Do we (my mother and my mother sister) have any rights to fight as the property came from  the grandfather considering as ancestor property?

Question from (Property Law) Tamil Nadu

Your mother and her sister have share in the property therefore, they can challenge the transaction by filing a civil suit. It was ancestral property and your mother’s grandfather had settled among his children. After the family settlement the nature of property had changed. It became the separate property of each son. Your mother along with her siblings have coparcenary right in that property.

That coparcenary right is absolute in respect of that property because it was not the self acquired property of her father. He got that property from his father after the family settlement. However, the nature of property has changed but it is still a joint family property so far as relates to your mother and her siblings.

File a civil suit

Your mother and her sister should file a civil suit for cancellation of registration of settlement deed. That deed is bad in the eye of law because your maternal grandfather had executed in violation of the settled principle of law. It is a joint family property and all the coparceners have right therein from by birth.

According to Section 6 of the Hindu Succession Act, the daughter has equal share in the ancestral property. When an ancestral property is divided or partitioned among the coparceners it becomes a coparcenary property of each coparcener. Your maternal grandfather was a coparcener at the time of settlement. At the moment he received the property after settlement, his children became coparcener in respect of that property.

Therefore, your mother got right in the property immediately when their father received it after settlement. So, your mother has the right in the property and her father cannot transfer that property to his sons by eliminating the daughters.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Can a tenant refuse to vacate an allotted house?

Question: Can a tenant refuse to vacate an allotted house? Our father had purchased 3 houses together in a colony, more than 50 years ago. Two on the ground floor, in which we were already living there on rent. And One house is on top of these two houses. A tenant...

First Name is missing in jamabandi 

Question: Respected Sir, I bought a flat in 2018. Now we had applied for renovation loan from bank and for that when we were collecting the required documents. It came to our knowledge that jamabandi had only my surname and operator missed to enter my first name in...

Can I transfer a demat account without a probate?

Question: Can I transfer a demat account without a probate? My father had made me (his son) as nominee on his demat account. However as per his will this account should be given to his grandson (my son). Bank wants a probate of the will. However as per his will this...

Can a mother gift self-acquired property to her grandson?

Question: My mother has a self-acquired property and also got property of my father. My father died in 2006 without making a Will.  However, the khatha has been transferred in my mother's name. We have a family of 3 people. Can a mother gift self-acquired property to...

Repossession of flat let out on rent since 1968 

Question: I own a flat of 600 sq ft in a cooperative housing society in ghatkopar west. Repossession of flat let out on rent since 1968. My grandmother had let it out in 1968, the rent was fixed at rs 120 pm and ever since then it continues till date. The share...

My father did not do mutation 

Question: My father did not do mutation after purchasing a land. A plot purchased by my father in 1991. He died in 2017 with no mutation etc done on this property due to some family disputes. Now I got information that this property of my father is sold and my family...

Can conveyance deed be done with the developer ?

Question: Cooperative Housing society is on 98 years leased land. Property is going for redevelopment. Can conveyance deed be done with the developer.?  Builder is going to give freehold ownership flats to tenants. Builder is asking us, who are the landowners, to do a...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.