Home | Legal Advice | Domestic Violence | Relief in domestic violence case

Relief in domestic violence case

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

My wife has filed a false case under the domestic violence act. She made me all family members as accused. However, no specific allegation was made against my family members, but she made a specific accusation against me. She asserted that I had abandoned her after causing much physical torture. She failed to produce any medical evidence regarding physical pain. Now the case has decided against my family members and me. The court ordered to pay 20000 as maintenance allowance, rs 5000 per month if I do not provide separate accommodation. Please advise.

You should file an appeal before the court of sessions. Such judgment could not be passed if no medical evidence was produced in support of physical torture. Your family members should be acquitted because no specific allegations were made against them.

In M.M. Ahmed vs State of Andhra Pradesh AIR 2007 AP, it is held by the high court that in no specific allegation is made against the accused hence prosecution against such accused should be quashed. No judgment has been passed so quashing is becoming immaterial. But you should object to this point. Such persons must be acquitted by the appellate court.

If you are living with your family house which is not built by you or it is rented flat and rent is not paid by you then your wife cannot claim separate accommodation. Such accommodation or residential relief under section 19 can be given only self-owned house or rented house of the husband or joint family house (ancestral house).

In S. R. Batra vs Smt. Taruna Batra AIR 2007 SC, held by the supreme court that right to separate or alternate accommodation under the domestic violence act can be claimed only against the husband. If it is the husband’s self-owned house or rented house (if rent is paid by the husband). It does not call the shared household. A house owned or taken on rent by her husband or a house belonging to the joint family of which her husband is a member.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone?

Question: I am from Kolkata. my Phone has some last memories of my grandma. I lost my mobile on 16.05.2022 and my mobile rang for about 6 hours and then switched off. How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone? Obviously it's switched off by someone. I went to the local...

Can I file FIR against husband in delhi for bigamy?

Question: Our marriage solemnised in the UAE. My husband is working in the UAE. After I got married in UAE on 5th Feb 2022 I came to know that I have been cheated. My husband was married 2 times before Married to me. He has not dissolved his previous marriage. Can I...

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CRD?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.