Home | Legal Advice | Latest Advice Online | Refused leave on pending departmental inquiry

Refused leave on pending departmental inquiry

When the probability of conviction in departmental inquiry is bleak or the allegations made in charge sheet are bald then the concerned authority should not refuse your leave application. The applicant should approach the Central Administrative Tribunal for quashing of the order of refusal of leave application.

Question: I have applied for sabbatical leave for the higher education of my son. The bank has refused the leave application due to pending departmental inquiry. Can the bank refuse my leave application in such a manner? I am facing a disciplinary proceeding for sanctioning a loan without inspecting the collateral.

However, I have committed no fault in sanction of loan but my superior officer has made me a scapegoat in that case. He was the responsible person to check the value of collateral and sanction a loan for the amount more than two crore rupees. The bank has been harassing me and does not sanction my sabbatical leave. Can I go on unauthorised leave? 

Question from: Maharashtra

You should not go on leave without obtaining prior permission of the competent authority. The bank can suspend you immediately on the basis of unauthorised absence. It will have an adverse effect on the pending departmental proceeding. Hence, you should approach the superior officer and show him that there is genuine reason for leave and you will not flee from disciplinary proceedings.

Approach the Central Administrative Tribunal

If the superior officer has also rejected your application due to pending departmental inquiry then you can approach the CAT. You should challenge the order of superior officer and file an OA before the CAT because you have the right to take leave for educational purpose.

Your involvement in sanction of loan and chances of conviction in departmental inquiry will decide your case. The sanctioned loan is more than two crore rupees. If you are not a competent or decision making authority to sanction a loan exceeding two crore rupees then the chance of conviction is very bleak.

Your superior authority has the responsibility to check the collateral and other necessary documents for sanctioning a loan of more than two crore. The superior authority had checked all the documents and collateral then decided to sanction that loan. He has approved the loan and sent it to your branch for disbursement. 

Refusal of leave on pending departmental inquiry

The facts of your case prove that you are not involved in sanctioning a fraudulent loan. You have just relied on the approval of a superior officer and disbursed the loan in the borrower’s account. Hence, you are entitled to get sabbatical leave despite the pending departmental proceeding. 

The departmental proceeding is vague and you have been falsely implicated. Therefore, refusal of leave application due to pending departmental inquiry is unjust, improper and without application of judicious mind.

Lawyer’s advice

Divorce within one year of marriage: Is it possible?

Section 14 of the Hindu Marriage Act prohibits divorce within one year of marriage unless there is any exceptional hardship or depravity. If exceptional hardship exists then spouse can approach the Family Court and take leave to file divorce petition within one year of marriage.

Visitation right of father: Wife does not allow me to meet my son

A non custodial father i.e. a father who cannot get custody of a child, has a visitation right to meet and spend some time with his child. Father’s visitation rights accrues after dissolution of marriage, divorce or judicial separation. It does not arise when wife is living separately due to some differences.

Right of Muslim woman while living separately

A Muslim woman who is living separately due to cruelty of husband, has right to maintenance under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. She can also invoke the provisions of Protection of Woman from Domestic Violence Act. She can claim residence order and monetary relief under the DV Act. Her husband cannot evade himself from his marital responsibility.

Possession without occupancy certificate

Occupancy certificate or completion certificate is an important document because it proves that the flat is fit for occupancy or living. It also proves that the builder has constructed the builder as per the permission granted by the competent authority. If a flat buyer takes possession in absence of occupancy certificate it may cause harm to his property rights.

Builder giving possession in another apartment

Builder cannot give possession in another apartment because it is a breach of agreement to sell. When the builder has signed an agreement to construct a particular flat for the buyer, later on he cannot unanimously decide to give possession in another apartment. The buyer has to decide whether he wants possession or claim refund of money from the builder.

Husband has recorded whatsapp conversation

When the recorded whatsapp conversation does not form any ground for divorce as mentioned in Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act, the wife should not be worry about that. Conversation between mother and daughter does not amount to cruelty hence, the recorded whatsapp conversation has no legal value.

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.