Paid Advise

Real estate agent made false promise: How to take legal action?

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: A real estate agent has made false promise about the covered car parking. While purchasing a flat, the sales team committed to giving covered car parking. Now they are asking for additional costs for covering that parking. I have a meeting recording in which a sales person clearly says they will provide covered parking. CRM team not supporting. We showed the CRM team audio recording still not taking our side. How can we complain about this ? How can social media help in this ? 3) How can real estate companies bring reality to social media?

Asked from: Maharashtra

You should file a complaint before the RERA Authority established under The Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act, 2016. False information or promise about the real estate project is strictly prohibited under the RERA Act. 

According to section 10 of the RERA Act, the real estate agent shall not make a false or misleading representation concerning the services. If he does so, he shall be punished under Section 62 of the Act. 

If any real estate agent fails to comply with or contravenes the provisions of section 9 or section 10, he shall be liable to a penalty of ten thousand rupees for every day during which such default continues, which may cumulatively extend up to five per cent. of the cost of plot, apartment or buildings, as the case may be, of the real estate project, for which the sale or purchase has been facilitated as determined by the Authority.

Section 62 of RERA Act

Hence, you should prefer a complaint to the real estate regulatory authority against the false promises of real estate agent. If the RERA finds that the promoter has instigated the agent to make such false promises the promoter will also be punished under Section 60 of the Act. 

If the promoter provides false information or contravenes the provisions of section 4, he shall be liable to a penalty which may extend up to five per cent of the estimated cost of the real estate project, as determined by the Authority.

Section 60 of RERA Act

Don’t involve yourself in the blame game on social media platforms. Be sincere and take appropriate action against the agent and promoter under the provisions of RERA Act. Real estate agent made false promise and you have evidence to prove it. This is sufficient to initiate proceeding under the RERA.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application

Question: Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application. My Grandparents had 7 children and among them 4 sons and 3 daughters. Joint family property is around 130 acres which was divided among all family members under Registered Family Settlement (RFS) in 1972...

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.