Legal Advice

Quashing of major penalty charge sheet and further stopping disciplinary proceedings or enquiry 


Sir, I am transferred by the lending department of North Western railway to the borrowing department of railway RDSO Lucknow wherein a major penalty charge sheet has been issued for misuse of Duty Card Pass without approval of the tour programme which was not possible during the period of Covid-19. Hence can I file an OA on the following grounds.  That Borrowing department has not henceforth informed the lending department to commencement of disciplinary proceedings.  That the disciplinary authority has neither conducted preliminary enquiry nor issued any show cause notice before issuance of charge sheet. That the defense department required to prepare and then submit reply to the charge memorandum have not been supplied by the Disciplinary Authority so far.  That in the absence of my reply, the decision of Disciplinary Authority to proceed with further enquiry and appointing Inquiry Officer is correct or not? That the Railway Vigilance has not recorded the statement of my Nodal Officers who assigned duty and get reservation in trains as well as statement of TTE has not been recorded by the vigilance. The Disciplinary Authority has issued charge sheet with preset mind as adviced by vigilance officers. Kindly assess the success rate of my above grievances and advice about the Rules, Circulars or earlier decision of humble courts please.


Upon perusal of the facts of your case it seems that no opportunity of hearing afforded to you by the inquiry officer before submitting its report to the disciplinary authority. When an inquiry officer is appointed he has to hold a preliminary inquiry to make out a prima facie case against the delinquent officer. 

In that inquiry the delinquent officer may appear and place his explanation and evidence either oral or documentary. If the delinquent officer produces any evidence, the inquiry officer is bound to accept. 

In Amalendu Ghosh v. North Eastern Railway [AIR 1960 SC 992] the Constitution Bench of the Hon’ble Supreme Court has held that the purpose of holding a preliminary inquiry in respect of a particular alleged misconduct is only for the purpose of finding a particular fact and prima facie, to know as to whether the alleged misconduct has been committed and on the basis of the findings recorded in preliminary inquiry, no order of punishment can be passed. 

In Champaklal Chimanlal Shah v. Union of India [AIR 1964 SC 1854] a Constitution Bench of the Hon’ble Supreme Court while taking a similar view held that preliminary inquiry should not be confused with regular inquiry. The preliminary inquiry is not governed by the provisions of Article 311(2) of the Constitution of India. Preliminary inquiry may be held ex parte, for it is merely for the satisfaction of the Government though usually for the sake of fairness, an explanation may be sought from the government servant even at such an inquiry.

So far as disciplinary inquiry under Railway Rules 1968 is concerned, the Disciplinary Authority can initiate regular inquiry after receiving imputation or misconduct against railway servant. Now after receiving a report of the vigilance department the disciplinary authority has initiated a regular inquiry by issuing a charge sheet and appointing an inquiry officer. Till this stage the proceeding is fair and legal under section 9 of The Railway Servants (Discipline & Appeal) Rules, 1968.

The delinquent officer has to appear before the inquiry officer and defend his case. During the defence he (delinquent officer) has the right to inspect any material/evidence which is in the custody of the department and also has the right to call the material witnesses for recording their statement. 

If the inquiry officer refuses to record the evidence of a material witness or not providing evidence falling in the custody of the department, it violates the principle of natural justice i.e. not affording fair opportunity to the delinquent officer to deny his guilt. 

In Laxmi Shankar Pandey v. Union of India AIR (1991) 2 SCC 488 the Supreme Court has held that the inquiries must be conducted in accordance with the principles of natural justice and that a reasonable opportunity to deny the guilt and to cross examine the witnesses produced and examined, should be given and that the enquiry should be consistent with the rules of natural justice and in conformity with the statutory rules prescribing the modes of enquiry.

You should move a representation to the show cause notice and request the disciplinary authority: 

  • To provide relevant documentary evidence which is necessary for the preparation of defence.
  • Call material witnesses and record their statement.
  • Keep the departmental inquiry in abeyance till the furnishing of evidence and recording of statement of material witnesses.  

If the disciplinary authority does not take proper action on your representation then you should approach the Central Administrative Tribunal for the stay of proceedings and take decision on your representation within a stipulated time.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Father can transfer entire property to grandmother

My age is 16 and I’m the only son. My mother died 3 years back and so now my father is going to re-marry. It’s a very tough situation, my father says that he’ll give the entire property and assets to my grandmother and then she’ll give all that to me when I’m old enough. Everything we own is ancestral property but then there is also assets like gold or silver. So is there any chance that my stepmother can acquire all that and push me out. I’m scared please answer.

Tenant has made substantial changes in premises without permission of landlord

I am writing to seek your professional advice regarding a situation I am facing with my tenant. Over the past three years, my tenant has not paid rent, and I am concerned about the legal steps I can take to address this issue. Can I terminate the rent agreement based on this non-payment?

Additionally, I recently discovered that the tenant has undertaken significant alterations to the property without my knowledge or consent. This includes filling a large cavity, which seems to have resulted from his negligence. He has also installed an extra bathroom, toilet, and kitchen on the premises without obtaining proper authorization. It appears that he neglected to properly fill the trenches used to lay sewerage and water lines, leading to structural damage such as cracks in the walls and ceiling. He has written that he has spent on filling up the cavity but has not given details of expenses. However, he is trying to link it with non-payment of rent.

Given these circumstances, the tenant is now requesting extensive repairs to the property. I would like to mention that the tenant is 90 years old, and all of his sons have their own residences. It seems that he intends for his grandson to continue residing in the property as a tenant.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the legal options available to me in this situation. Your expertise and advice will be invaluable in helping me navigate this complex matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

P.S. How can I send the rent agreement cum compromise?

NOC from government for taking admission in foreign university

I am a govt servant and currently in a process of making applications to numerous foreign universities  for a PhD program.  I asked my organization for a general NOC applicable to all universities. They denied and asked me to mention the name of the university to which I am applying.  As currently I am in a process of making applications and my admission is not yet confirmed. I cannot mention a list of 10-50 universities in my application.  Kindly help me write an appeal / application for issuance of a general NOC.