Paid Advise

Prosecution is protecting an accused person in murder case

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: Four accused have murdered my mother in a proeprty case. Three of them have been facing trial because a charge sheet has been filed against them. One person, a cleric, is not arrayed as accused in my case. Prosecution is protecting that accused person in murder case. One of the accused admitted that the vehicle and money was provided by said cleric. Accused have taken shelter in that cleric’s home for two months. The prosecution arrested them from his home but not mentioned in the case diary. Later on prosecution filed a charge sheet against three accused only. What should I do?

Asked from: Madhya Pradesh

The statement of the co-accused is considered as relevant evidence. Therefore, the court can array him as an accused on the basis of his statement. If you have any independent evidence either direct or circumstantial then you should approach the court to summon that cleric as an accused.

File an application under Section 319 crpc

You must have prima facie evidence against him. That evidence must infer or indicate his participation in commission of the offence. One co-accused has admitted that the vehicle was provided by the cleric. I suppose that the investigating officer has ignored this fact and did not collect evidence towards the vehicle. Because the prosecution wanted to protect him from accusation. 

Assistance in commission of crime constitutes offence of abatement. Abetment is punishable under Section 109 of the Indian Penal Code. When abetment is connected with the murder then accused will be punished under section 302/109 IPC. 

Harbouring or sheltering an offender is an offence under Section 212 IPC. That cleric has committed aforesaid offences. In devoid of evidence regarding harbouring and facilitating in commission of offence, his name has struck out from the charge sheet. Now, one co-accused has brought his name in the commission of murder. 

Therefore, you should pray to the court to summon him as accused under Section 319 crpc. In Hardeep Singh v. State of Punjab and others, (2014) 3 SCC 92 the Supreme Court has held that 

Where strong and cogent evidence occurs against a person from the evidence led before the court, which is more than prima facie case as exercised at the time of framing of charge, the court can summon that person as accused under Section 319 of the code of criminal procedure.   

For application under Section 319 you must have cogent evidence against the cleric. The evidence must lead to his culpability. In Raj Kishore Prasad v. State of Bihar and another 1996 CrLJ 2523 the Supreme Court has held that in order to apply Section 319, it is essential that the need to proceed against the person other than the accused, appearing to be guilty of offence, arises only on evidence recorded in the course of any inquiry or trial.

Also Read: What to do when police is doing unfair investigation?

The court has recorded the statement of a co-accused. His statement infers that the cleric is also involved in the crime. He has provided vehicle and money to the accused for commission of crime. He also harboured the accused after the commission of murder. 

Hence, the court should add him as an accused and issue summons under Section 319 crpc. The court can refrain the prosecution from protecting an accused person in murder case. If the court rejects your application then you should approach the High Court under Section 482 crpc.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Can investigating officer send the document to FSL?

Question: Can investigating officer send the document to FSL? I am 75 years Retd ISRO scientist in Hyderabad.  Seeking your advice/suggestion/consultation on a small clarification. I had bought 1 Acr land  in 1997 and got it mutated in 2019. ROR is in my...

Prosecution sanctioned not in three months is it valid? 

Question: Prosecution sanction by competent authority is granted after lapse of stipulated period mandated and specified under Section 19 of the P. C. amendment act 2018. Prosecution sanctioned not in three months is it valid?  Whether the sanction is valid or...

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone?

Question: I am from Kolkata. my Phone has some last memories of my grandma. I lost my mobile on 16.05.2022 and my mobile rang for about 6 hours and then switched off. How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone? Obviously it's switched off by someone. I went to the local...

Can I file FIR against husband in delhi for bigamy?

Question: Our marriage solemnised in the UAE. My husband is working in the UAE. After I got married in UAE on 5th Feb 2022 I came to know that I have been cheated. My husband was married 2 times before Married to me. He has not dissolved his previous marriage. Can I...

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CDR?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.