Paid Advise

Property seller not executing sale deed after expiry of timeline set out

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: As part of property agreement, seller was liable to execute sale deed by Jan 31, 2022, however he went mid-way on Jan 22, 2022 to US. Property seller not executing sale deed after expiry of timeline set out. He sought a month extension over email as he is unavailable to sign in India. Today, we asked for his final date of arrival, to which he is refusing to provide. Perhaps he is suggesting to give PoA to his son in India and get the deal signed. Unfortunately, a loan disbursement cheque was ready in his name on Jan 27, 2022.  

We want the seller to directly come to India and sign the deal instead of going through the PoA route, but he is refusing to suggest an accurate timeline of his return. 40% payment done, ATS expired on Jan 31, 2022 (and he is not even available to sign refreshed ATS) Please suggest legal remedies and I am more curious to understand the resolution timeline if going by court of law.

Asked from: Haryana

No need to compel the seller to personally appear and execute sale deed. You should not object if he has granted a power of attorney and empowered his attorney to execute the sale deed on his behalf. This is a legally acceptable process if the actual seller is not in position to personally execute the sale deed. Registration of property through POA is legal.

When a person especially empowered by the power of attorney is present and ready to execute the sale deed. Then you cannot say that the property seller is not executing the sale deed after the expiry of the timeline set out. Actually you are obstructing the process of execution of the sale deed.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application

Question: Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application. My Grandparents had 7 children and among them 4 sons and 3 daughters. Joint family property is around 130 acres which was divided among all family members under Registered Family Settlement (RFS) in 1972...

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.