Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Police officer refused to lodge FIR and told to file a complaint

Police officer refused to lodge FIR and told to file a complaint

Shivendra Pratap Singh


02/06/2021/ 10:19:17 PM

Reading Time:

Question: Advance paid 19 lacs in 2018 for a Shop but no much progress since then. We insist on registration of the sale agreement but the Builder avoids calls.  Recently I came to know that the builder sold the same shop to another person. We visited the Police Station to file an FIR but the police officer refused to lodge an FIR and told us to file a complaint.

He said to first submit a complaint and they will verify the facts post which FIR can be filed. Is this not a cognizable offence? How can we insist police to file FIR and catch the builder before he absconds? The same Shop which is sold to me is even registered under different names and even most of the flats in the said building are sold to multiple buyers.

Question from: Madhya Pradesh

Police officers cannot refuse to register the first information report (FIR) if information discloses commission of a cognisable offence. The builder has sold the same property to more than one person. This is an offence of cheating and punishable under section 420 of the Indian Penal Code. Cheating is a cognisable offence hence, police officer cannot refuse to lodge the FIR. Police officer cannot insist the informant to file a complaint.

Send the information to the District Superintendent of Police

Section 154(3) of the Code of Criminal Procedure provides that if a police officer refuses to lodge the FIR, the informant can send the substance of the information to the Superintendent of Police (SP). the SP will either himself investigate or depute any subordinate officer to conduct investigation. 

The above provision is statutory provision and SP shall initiate the investigation if the substance of information discloses commission of a cognisable offence. In Lalita Kumari vs State of U.P. the Supreme Court has held that officer in charge of the police station (SHO) cannot refuse to register FIR of a cognisable offence. He has no option to conduct a preliminary inquiry before recording of the FIR. 

Preliminary inquiry before lodging of FIR

In Lalita Kumari case, the hon’ble Supreme Court opined that in these cases the police officer can conduct preliminary inquiry. 

  • Commercial offences
  • Matrimonial disputes
  • Medical negligence
  • Corruption cases

Cheating is not a commercial offence. It is an offence against property. This is a cognisable offence and investigation commences only after FIR. Hence, the opinion of police officer is unjust and violates the legal principles. You should send the substance of information to the SP and wait for his action. If the SP also does not take any action on your complaint then you should approach the district court under section 156(3) crpc.

The first class judicial magistrate shall direct the SHO to lodge the FIR. he can also monitor the progress of investigation and call a status report. In the Sakiri Basu case the Supreme Court has held that the Judicial Magistrate has power to monitor the investigation.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CRD?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

A guilty person can lodge an FIR

Question: I want to know if a guilty person can lodge an FIR? If I beat someone due to harassment or any other criminal activity and an FIR is lodged against me, can I still lodge an FIR against the person I have beaten for his activity? Asked from: West Bengal Guilty...

Can I lodge an FIR after ten years of incident?

Question: My boyfriend had raped me in my PG when I was studying in engineering college. Now I have joined a multinational company and am working in Bangalore. He has traced me and is now trying to establish a relationship. I am married and a mother of two childs. Can...

Whether prostitute’s customer commits offence

Question: Police is calling prostitute’s customer. The police said that it is an offence under Section 3/4/5/7 of the Immoral Traffic Prevention Act. I want to know whether prostitute’s customer commits offence if he had sex with her? Mrs X is doing some sort of...

Conviction in violation of Section 50 NDPS Act

Question: Please advise whether I have any remedy against the conviction in violation of Section 50 NDPS Act. On 2nd April 2018 Mr. Takunichi was on his way to Changlang from Itanagar travelling in a white Scorpio bearing registration No. XXXX. His friend Mr. Dikunima...

My wife has filed false FIR

Question: My wife has filed false FIR under Section 498A/406 IPC. Section 3 & D P Act, against me and my old aged ill widow mother. I am the only child and my wife and her parents are hell-bent to take divorce. She wants to remarry. Hence they told me they will...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.