Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Physical assault from my boyfriend

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Criminal Law

Reading Time:

Advised on 22 May, 2022

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a co-sharing flat. Now he is missing his parents. What steps should I take to help? 

Asked from: Uttar Pradesh

Police officers cannot refuse to lodge if the information suggests the commission of the cognisable offence. In the Lalita Kumari case [2014 Cri.L.J. 470] the Supreme Court has held that recording of the first information report is mandatory.

No need to file a complaint instead of an FIR, you should send the copy of information, which you wanted to lodge as an FIR, to the district Superintendent of Police. He has the power to either himself investigate the matter or depute any subordinate officer. 

You must have evidence to prove that your boyfriend has been torturing you. Mere oral allegation about act of torture will give him (boyfriend) an opportunity to quash the FIR. 

Ask A Question

Physical assault from my boyfriend

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

I offer legal advice and representation in various fields of law, such as Criminal, Civil, Writ, Matrimonial, Service matters, Property, Revenue and SARFAESI related cases. I have experience in handling complex and challenging cases with diligence and professionalism.

Also Read

Post mortem

Post-mortem examinations, also known as autopsies, are medical procedures carried out to determine the cause of death of a deceased person. These examinations involve a thorough examination of the body, including the internal organs, tissues, and...

read more

Gunshot wounds

There are several types of gunshot wounds that can occur depending on the characteristics of the bullet, the firearm used, and the location of the wound. Here are some of the common types of gunshot wounds: Penetrating gunshot wounds: This type of...

read more

Gunshot victims

Gunshot victims are individuals who have sustained physical harm or trauma as a result of a gunshot wound. Gunshot wounds can be caused by a variety of firearms, including handguns, shotguns, and rifles. The severity of the injury depends on...

read more

Gunshot injuries

Gunshot injuries refer to any physical harm or trauma caused by a gunshot wound. These injuries can range from mild to severe, and can affect different parts of the body depending on the location of the wound and the type of firearm used. The...

read more

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.