Home | Legal Advice | Property Law | Period of limitation in cancellation of the sale deed

Period of limitation in cancellation of the sale deed

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

I want to know the limitation period in cancellation of the sale deed. My uncle has sold my land when I was a minor. He played fraud and dishonestly shown me major in the sale deed. In February 2020 this fact revealed and I came to know that my uncle has sold my land to his daughter. He made a forged sign of mine in the sale deed. I have certified copy of that sale deed. What should I do sir?

Question from: Uttar Pradesh​

Your uncle had sold your land when you were a minor. His daughter is the purchase of that land and I think that she did not pay any price thereof. He almost concealed this fact until it is revealed in February 2020. So this circumstance proves that you are in possession of this land because if it was disclosed earlier the fact might be surfaced. 

This is your father’s property and it has devolved upon you after his death. Therefore, your uncle had no right to sell it however he was your guardian. You are the owner of this land right from your father’s death. Your uncle has sold this land and absorbed its sale proceeds. He never disclosed to you this fact. 

Your uncle has committed a crime

You are the owner of this property and your uncle had fraudulently sold it to his daughter. He made your forged signature in the sale deed and declared you therein as a major. He has committed an offence of cheating, forgery of valuable security and false impersonation. You can file an FIR against him under section 419/420/467/468/120B of Indian Penal Code (IPC). However, you have to decide whether to initiate criminal proceeding against him.  

Limitation period

That sale deed has no legal sanctity because your uncle has executed it fraudulently. Therefore, you should file a civil suit for the cancellation of the sale deed. The Indian Limitation Act 1963 provides three years limitation period for filing of such a civil suit. According to article 59 of the limitation act, the period of limitation starts from the date of knowledge of the fraud. 

In February 2020 you knew about the fraudulent sale deed so you have enough time to file a civil suit.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application

Question: Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application. My Grandparents had 7 children and among them 4 sons and 3 daughters. Joint family property is around 130 acres which was divided among all family members under Registered Family Settlement (RFS) in 1972...

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.