Paid Advise

Partition of property and evict the tenant simultaneously

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: Is it possible to partition the property and evict the tenant simultaneously? If not then how to evict the tenant? My late father died without a will regarding his properties, we are 5 legal heirs, I am the eldest son and want to sell my share of property but my younger brother who is living with his family and my mother doesn’t allow me to sell my share of property. Hence I want to file a partition suit by metes and bounds with separate possession but I have some doubts pls clarify the following points in detail. 

Some portions of property are occupied by tenants, those are from my late father’s time. Can I file suit without evicting them as other legal heirs don’t want to evict them as they even don’t want partition of property and saying that without evicting them I can not ask for partition, is it so? 

Anyhow they want to involve them so that a third party can be involved and things becomes complicated and cumbersome, I am in job living in other city and want to sell my share of property, I asked other legal heirs to take my share and give equivalent amount of market price even giving them discount but not ready. They are saying that I can not sell property, only can use property for myself. How is this being a legal heir? I have an equal share in the property and I need money for the purchase of a house for my son, who is living in a rented house in pune. 

Can I file suit for partition of property by metes and bounds making all legal heirs party without involving tenants in any way? will it not be disqualified on the grounds of bad suit? Any time limitations for filing a partition suit can be filed even after 12 yrs. My mother is a senior citizen 70 yrs old and has a share in the property being legal heir and not in favour of partition of property, will this cause in any way disqualification of suit. 

Property in Uttar Pradesh, what is the court fee for partition suite, whether it will be deposited in advance while filing suite or after preliminary decree or admissibility of suite before sending summons to defendants, if during proceedings if opposite party bring out some fraud will Or document what will happen to partition suite will it be converted into testamentary suite, then what about court fee which were deposited for partition suite, will it be refunded? 

Can my mother and sister surrender their undivided share in favour of sons and brothers for this it is sufficient to present an affidavit by their advocates during the proceedings of partition suite so that all three brothers claim for theirs 1/3 shares . Is it ok or any other formality or procedure is required. What will be  the court fee for partition suite in uttar Pradesh for the property of market value of rs- 1Cr. How much time it takes for the court to finally order the partition suit.

Asked from: Uttar Pradesh

You can file a partition suit without prior evicting the tenant from the property. All the legal heirs have equal share in the property. Hence, property will devolve on each heir without evicting the tenants. Currently, all the legal heirs have joint possession and ownership in the property.

They have equal share in the rental income. In the case of joint possession and ownership each heir shall get proportional share in rental income. So, in case of partition of property, each will get equal share in the property. If property is not divisible then the court will sell the property and divide the sale proceeds among the legal heirs.

If property is equally divisible then the tenancy will transfer along with the share. The tenants have rights in the property hence, you should make them defendants  in the partition suit along with all heirs. Not necessary to evict the tenants before filing a partition suit.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application

Question: Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application. My Grandparents had 7 children and among them 4 sons and 3 daughters. Joint family property is around 130 acres which was divided among all family members under Registered Family Settlement (RFS) in 1972...

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.