Home | Legal Advice | Legal Advice | Owner does not returning money in agreement of sale

Owner does not returning money in agreement of sale

By Shivendra Pratap Singh

My father purchased 2 and a half acres of agricultural land in our village and had an unregistered agreement of sale from the seller last year in the month of Feb 2020 and upon Contract, we have given them 10.5L Rupees as an advance amount. The sellers are 7 brothers and out of the six members in need of money and sold the land through contract. The one elder brother did not sell his part of the land but was given permission to sell their share of land (this is seven brothers’ joint property). However, In contact, they had a time period of 5 months for the execution of the sale deed. That did not happen due to covid-19 lockdown (as they said).

In the meantime unfortunately the elder brother has died and his sons started opposing it. Previously they had sold the land for which they did not receive their share of the money which they claim. Now they have filed a civil suit which claims this whole land belongs to them. Moreover, their father did not raise this concern at the time of agreement (It is a fake case just for enmity).

So we keep asking them for the execution of the sale deed but they are giving false promises, Please provide us the suggestion on what we can do now.

Question from: Karnataka

You should file a civil suit for cancellation of agreement and return of consideration. That agreement of sale is valid because it reflects the consent of current owners to sell their land. However, you cannot bind them to sell the land in the course of that agreement because that agreement does not confer you any right or title in the land. 

But, it is valid in respect of binding them to return the consideration which they received in the order of that agreement. Therefore, you should file a civil suit. If they are not in position to return your money then they can sell the land. So, in both cases you will get proper relief. This is agricultural land and until all the co-sharers are not agree you cannot purchase it. So, initiate proper legal proceedings and do not wait for the execution of the sale deed.   

Lawyer’s advice

Husband don’t want to live with his wife.

It's my arranged marriage. I want to live with my husband, he is working in another state and me staying with his parents. His parents and my husband don't want me to stay with him. Now they tortured me to leave that place so that they will marry their son. What...

Can I take legal action against my girlfriend for defamation

I would like to file a case on my girlfriend for mental harassment as from last 9 year we know each other, my family and all relatives know everything even my neighborhood too. Everything was fine but she always tries to hide her game plan. Actually she wanted to...

Katha and building plan approval from municipal corporation

I want to know whether I need plan approval from the municipal corporation. In May 2020 I purchased one property in Adarsh Nagar Arishinakunte Nelamangala. Municipal corporation took over from grama panchayath this year. We purchased an under construction house, plan...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.