Paid Advise

Order of dismissal without giving any reason

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: I have been dismissed on the oral complaint but nowhere that complaint is mentioned in the dismissal order. That order of dismissal was passed without giving any reason. The departmental inquiry is initiated without recording formal complaint and information about my misconduct. I have opposed that proceeding but dismissed from service without any reason. I want to take appropriate legal action against the government. Please suggest appropriate legal action which I can take in this matter. 

Asked from: Uttar Pradesh

You should challenge the validity of the order of dismissal in the High Court under Article 226 of the Constitution. The dismissal order is void because it is unreasoned. The disciplinary authority did not record any reason for passing such a harsh punishment. 

This order is violating the constitutional protection available to the public servants under Article 311 of the constitution of India.  In Union of India v. Tulsiram Patel [(1985) 3 SCC 398] the Supreme Court has held that recording of reasons for forming the requisite satisfaction is mandatory.   

However, the disciplinary authority is not bound to disclose the reason in the punishment order but he has to record in his proceeding. Whenever the court calls that proceeding the authority has to produce the reason on that basis the dismissal order was passed. Inflicting punishment without stating sound and just reason is illegal; 

In Collector of Monghyr v. Keshav Prasad Goenka [(1963) 1 SCR 98] the Supreme Court has held that where the statute requires the recording of reasons, any action taken without recording the reasons is invalid.

Thus, the order of dismissal is invalid. It violates the provisions of Article 311. The High Court, at the stage of admission may stay the order and call counter from the opposite party. If the order of dismissal was without giving any reason the High Court shall quash such an order. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Reinstatement after the acquittal in a criminal case

Question: I want to know whether reinstatement after the acquittal in a criminal case is possible. Some imported clothings was seized during the search operation. Those goods were kept in the godown operating under the control of the state government. After a few days...

Departmental inquiry can be initiated after FIR

Question: Departmental inquiry has been initiated against me after the recording of FIR. That FIR is false and frivolous because it is very much influenced by the political vendetta. Since I am a General Manager (Project) and have issued several contracts to the...

Reduction of age criteria in bank examination

Question: Sir, recently the State Bank of India released notification for clerical posts. Till now for the age criteria the reference month is April, but this time without prior notice they've changed it to August. This will make many candidates who are born prior to...

Withholding of salary without any reason

Question: I've been on an unpaid service for last 3 months, progressing into 4th, purely on frivolous grounds, at the whims of accounting unit head,  without following due process of law, as laid down in Central Civil Services (Conduct) rules, without any...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.