Legal Advice

Obstruction of public road for movement and services 

Question: Obstruction of public road for movement and services. I am settled in a retirement home which is not a gated community and all the roads come under Panchayat administration as they have been handed over to the Panchayat by the developer in 1999 itself.  However the developer has installed a gate at the main entrance restricting the visitors and the services to us.  Is it not our Fundamental Right to move in freely and engage services of our own choice? Can a contract signed by us at the time of the purchase be evoked to suppress our free movement and in engaging services of our choice? Can these violations be considered as criminal acts infringing our rights? Please clarify to proceed further.


The builder has handed over this project to the panchayat. Now the panchayat is responsible for maintaining security and providing facilities to the residents. For the sake of providing facilities it cannot impose unreasonable or arbitrary restrictions on the movement of residents and ingress of visitors. 

If the builder has installed this gate in violation of the sanctioned site plan then you should file a complaint before the administrative officer of the panchayat for its demolition. Common Cause (A Regd. Society) v. Union of India [AIR 2018 SC 1665] the Supreme Court has held that

Word ‘life’ in Art. 21 has to be construed as life with human dignity. Any physical interference with person is, prima facie, tortious. If it interferes with freedom of movement, it may constitute false imprisonment. If it involves physical touching, it may constitute battery. If it puts a person in fear of violence, it may amount to assault. For any of these wrongs, the victim may be able to obtain damages.

Imposing unreasonable and arbitrary restrictions on locomotion or movement is violation of fundamental rights of citizen enshrined in Article 21 of the Constitution of India. 

In this situation you should move a writ petition before the High Court for the illegal activities of the panchayat. You should file a writ of mandamus under Article 226 of the Constitution of India and seek direction to the administrative officer of Panchayat to ensure free movement and dignified living of residents. 

Any contract signed by residents which empowers the authority to impose unreasonable restrictions on the movement is void under Section 23 of the Contract Act. 

You can also file an FIR against the concerned officer of Panchayat for the offence committed under Section 341/342/344 of the Indian Penal Code.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Stepmother can get share in ancestral property after death of father

My stepmother is asserting her share in the ancestral property, currently registered under my late grandfather’s name, who passed away four years ago. The property is yet to be distributed, and my stepmother vacated our ancestral home three years ago, residing elsewhere with her daughter. The daughter, who lived with us before marrying 25 years ago and subsequently leaving our house, is now asserting her rights over the property. I seek advice on the validity of my stepmother and her daughter’s claim to my father’s property following his demise.

I lied to my boyfriend about my divorce now he refuses to marry

In 2017, I separated from an abusive marriage. After some time, I started dating someone. In 2021, I got divorced, but I didn’t disclose this to him because I was concerned that he might judge me. Now he is refusing to marry. We have been in a sexual relationship for three years. He is 23 years old and my age is 38. I love him because his sexual orientation meets my desire. How to initiate a legal process to compel him for marriage?

Can a single accused seek quashing of FIR

An FIR has been filed against four accused individuals, and Accused No. 4 possesses a distinct identity. Question: Is it possible for the High Court to quash the FIR only against Accused No. 4? An FIR has been registered, and a C-Summary has been submitted to the Honourable Magistrate. The complainant has filed a Protest Petition, leading the Honourable Magistrate to return the C-Summary to a new Investigating Officer for further inquiry. Question: At this stage, can the alleged Accused No. 4 seek relief by approaching the High Court to have his name quashed from the FIR?

School authorities are creating a private nuisance

I have been living in a residential area for more than 17 years. There is a school behind our house, and it does not have any wall connecting to our house. Recently, they have constructed a horse shed without any wall, using iron pillars. Now, I am unable to sleep in my bedrooms due to the horses kicking on my wall and the noises they create. Additionally, I am unable to use my rooftop because of the foul smell generated by their excreta. The condition of my wall is deteriorating due to this shed. I had previously approached the SDM office, but the opposing party allegedly bribed the official. What legal remedy should I pursue against the school authorities?

My wife and her family don’t allow me to meet my daughters

My wife and her family does not allow to meet my daughters since 1 year. My elder daughter is of 3 years and younger is of 10 months but they not allow me to meet them. many times me and my family members try to take her back to house but she demand to do property on her name .since 1 year she is with her parents she did not even tell me how is my daughter’s and did not allow to talk to them on call.

Husband denied to access my matrimonial home

I resided with my husband for a duration of five months in an apartment. The house is registered in the name of my father-in-law, yet my in-laws reside in a different state. I am the individual who invested all of my finances in the interior and household accessories for the house. This decision was made under the understanding that it is my residence, and consequently, I am accountable for its furnishings. I willingly accepted and utilized my entire salary for this purpose.

However, my husband is engaged in an extramarital affair and desires to marry his girlfriend. He is pressuring me to initiate a divorce and is also subjecting me to physical harassment. In response, I have filed for a Domestic Violence Complaint (DVC) seeking a residential order. Unfortunately, I am being denied access to my home, with the explanation that it belongs to my father-in-law. I am in need of assistance; please help me.

CO of the same regiment headed SCM: Can I challenge the proceedings of SCM?

I was detailed on duty on 2045 hours thereafter, an officer came and found me sleeping. He then slapped me and called me to appear in office on the next day. On the very next day that officer abused me then I slapped him in front of some other soldiers. This incident was recorded and SCM was recommended after the court of inquiry. The CO of the same regiment headed the SCM. He was biased and conducted one sided trial. Thereafter I am discharged from the service. My total length of service is thirteen years nine months sixteen days. Is there any change of reinstatement?

Terminated from service on the ground of bigamy

Enlisted in the Indian Army in 2001, I married in 2006. While on duty in Arunachal Pradesh, my wife engaged in an extramarital relationship with a civilian, prompting me to send a legal notice for divorce. We divorced in 2013 after she initially filed a divorce and maintenance case in 2010, which we later resolved through mutual consent. In the same year, she also accused me of bigamy, leading to termination from the Army. Seeking guidance on the appropriate course of action in this matter.