Home | Legal Advice | Family Law Advice | My sister in law hates my love affair

My sister in law hates my love affair

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: My sister in law hates my love affair because she doesn’t like me. She is creating hurdles in my marriage.  Her brother wants to marry me because we love each other. This is a love marriage. Parents of my sister in law have died. She is taking care of her brother. Hence, she is very dominating and creating problems in our marriage. She makes false allegations of domestic violence. 

Her brother also does not like her due to her dominating behavior. My brother is giving her all comfort and freedom to live in a matrimonial home. We did not take any dowry in her marriage. My brother is a government servant. He is in favour of my marriage but due to pressure from my sister in law he is not coming forward. Please guide me. 

Question from: Madhya Pradesh

You should try an amicable settlement of this issue. There is no legal hurdle in your marriage because you both are an adult and sound person. You can solemnise marriage without the consent of your sister in law. Your brother agrees to this marriage hence, he will support you. Don’t culminate a simple matter in a very complex legal issue.

You should talk with your brother to convince his wife for your marriage. This is an extrajudicial matter hence, you should find its solution beyond the court. Don’t indulge in unnecessary legal matters because it will create enmity in your personal relations. Still you are telling that your sister in law hates my love affair. Whereas you should try to convince her for marriage.

Nowadays it has become a tradition to file lawsuits on trivial matters. Your matter is very trivial and does not require intervention of court. It would be better to find a solution in your family instead of in court. The lawsuits will further make your case very complex.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Legal validity of consensual relationship with brother

Question: It is a complicated situation for me, I am a 40 year old lady. My husband was an abuser and we have legally divorced 6 years ago without any issues left. I left my hometown, came to Delhi to join a job and started staying with my brother who is never married...

Child Custody to a third party 

Question: My partner wishes that I could take legal custody over her. She is happy with her family but wants to leave. I live in the UK, and she lives in India. What (if any) are our options? Can the court allow child custody to a third party?  Asked from: Uttar...

My wife has filed false FIR

Question: My wife has filed false FIR under Section 498A/406 IPC. Section 3 & D P Act, against me and my old aged ill widow mother. I am the only child and my wife and her parents are hell-bent to take divorce. She wants to remarry. Hence they told me they will...

Can I cancel the marriage after engagement

Question: I want to cancel the marriage after the engagement. I met a girl on 14.01.2022 & had an engagement (roka) on 19.01.2022. I met her from 15.01.2022 to 22.01.2022. After that she went to another city (Mumbai) & joined her office. After that she used to...

Mother is taking custody of children from father

Question: My wife is living apart. She is living with her paramour and happy with him. I have two children, both are sons. Now the mother is taking custody of the children from the father. It is a very painful situation for me. Both sons are minor and very happy with...

How can I get a copy of divorce decree?

Question: How can I get a copy of divorce decree? What should I do if my husband has solemnised second marriage? I have been living separately from my husband for two years. He has solemnised a second marriage and is living with that lady. When I knew about it I...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.