Paid Advise

My neighbour is damaging my house by using my wall as a common wall

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: My neighbour have used my wall as a common wall. By fixing grills, metal gate, stormwater pipes, wires etc. He is damaging my house by using my wall as a common wall. There is a sheet in the backside of their house. He has fixed it on my boundary wall and even my bathroom wall. They have lined up pots along the wall. Resulting in water damage and loosening of tiles I got fixed on my side. The lady of the house is very loud and abusive. She has called the police about her l&ll floor tenants, though she is clearly in the wrong. Most people avoid her. 

Asked from: Punjab

You should file a complaint against him under section 426 Indian Penal Code for the offence of mischief. Your neighbour has the knowledge that his act i.e. to use your wall as his own or as a common wall, may damage the property.

In fact, you have been suffering wrongful loss to your property due to illegal use of your wall by your neighbour. You should also file a civil suit for damages and permanent injunction against your neighbour. 

He has no right to use your wall without your consent. Therefore, your neighbour is bound to compensate you for any damages or loss he caused to your house.

The current situation may breach the peace and tranquillity. Hence, you should file an application to the sub divisional magistrate under section 145 of the Code of Criminal Procedure for removal of fixtures attached with your wall.  

The SDM will take a bond from your neighbour and direct him to remove all the fixtures attached with your wall and will not do the same in future. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application

Question: Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application. My Grandparents had 7 children and among them 4 sons and 3 daughters. Joint family property is around 130 acres which was divided among all family members under Registered Family Settlement (RFS) in 1972...

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Builder address not available for RERA filing 

Question: Can we file a case against the builder if his address is not available for RERA filing? Builder address given during registration not active. How to file a complaint to RERA if the builder address is not found to send a summon. He has left that office but...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.