Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | My girlfriend cheated me and extorted money

My girlfriend cheated me and extorted money

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: My girlfriend cheated on me and extorted a lot of money. She and I had been in a relationship for more than two years. We were classmates. During the relationship, my girlfriend made many false stories about her family. She cheated me with those false stories and took huge money from me. Sometimes I had transferred money in her bank account. We were in a physical relationship and love each other. 

I had faith in her and gave her jewelry, electronic gadgets, mobile, laptop etc. She has deceived me with the intention to take money from me. After completion of education she joined a company in Chennai. She is dating another guy. Now she is not picking my phone and has cut off all communications. I want to file a case against her for cheating and extortion of money. Please guide me.

Question from: Karnataka

Cheating and extortion both are offences punishable under the Indian Penal Code (IPC). Deception and putting a person in fear of injury are the main ingredients of those offences. You have admitted that you were in love and there was a physical relationship. 

The facts of your case do not prove that your girlfriend has cheated on you and extorted money. Without knowing her family background you cannot say that she made up false stories about her family.

My girlfriend cheated on me

Without have had any evidence of deception or inducement for delivery of property you cannot allege that my girlfriend cheated on me. In devoid of element of deception on the part of your girlfriend you cannot prosecute her for the offence of cheating.

You were friends and there was a natural love and affection between you. There was also a consensual sexual relationship. Prima facie your friend did not commit any fraud, deception or inducement to deliver any property from you.  

Section 415 of the Indian Penal Code defines cheating. Delivery Of property through deception or inducement is the cornerstone of cheating. Section 415 reads as:

Whoever, by deceiving any person, fraudulently or dishonestly induces the person so deceived to deliver any proper­ty to any person, or to consent that any person shall retain any property, or intentionally induces the person so deceived to do or omit to do anything which he would not do or omit if he were not so deceived, and which act or omission causes or is likely to cause damage or harm to that person in body, mind, reputation or property, is said to “cheat”.

Also read: Break down with girlfriend: what is legal remedy?

You have no evidence to prove that she fraudulently or dishonestly induced you to give her money, jewelry, electronic gadgets etc. Hence, the main element of cheating i.e. deception is missing. You were in a physical relationship so you have not given those articles on inducement or deception. The allegation that my girlfriend cheated on me is hard to prove. 

My girlfriend extorted money from me

Again the allegation that my girlfriend extorted money from me is hard to prove. There was no threat to your body or property from your girlfriend. She was a student and studying in your class. She has no past criminal record. 

Section 383 defines extortion as whoever intentionally puts any person in fear of any injury to that person, or to any other, and thereby dishon­estly induces the person so put in fear to deliver to any person any property or valuable security, or anything signed or sealed which may be converted into a valuable security, commits “extor­tion”.

Also read: Legal action against the girlfriend for defamation

She did not give any threat to unveil the sexual relationship thereby delivering any property from you. In devoid of any proof of threats or fear of injury you cannot say that she has extorted money from you. Therefore, your allegation that my girlfriend extorted me is a false allegation. She can take appropriate legal action against you on the false allegations.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone?

Question: I am from Kolkata. my Phone has some last memories of my grandma. I lost my mobile on 16.05.2022 and my mobile rang for about 6 hours and then switched off. How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone? Obviously it's switched off by someone. I went to the local...

Can I file FIR against husband in delhi for bigamy?

Question: Our marriage solemnised in the UAE. My husband is working in the UAE. After I got married in UAE on 5th Feb 2022 I came to know that I have been cheated. My husband was married 2 times before Married to me. He has not dissolved his previous marriage. Can I...

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CRD?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

A guilty person can lodge an FIR

Question: I want to know if a guilty person can lodge an FIR? If I beat someone due to harassment or any other criminal activity and an FIR is lodged against me, can I still lodge an FIR against the person I have beaten for his activity? Asked from: West Bengal Guilty...

Can I lodge an FIR after ten years of incident?

Question: My boyfriend had raped me in my PG when I was studying in engineering college. Now I have joined a multinational company and am working in Bangalore. He has traced me and is now trying to establish a relationship. I am married and a mother of two childs. Can...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.