Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | My ex-boyfriend is blackmailing me to post my photos on WhatsApp

My ex-boyfriend is blackmailing me to post my photos on WhatsApp

My ex-boyfriend is blackmailing me after the breakup. He said that he will post my photos on whatsapp. We had been in a relationship for a year. Eventually I got to know his orthodox thinking about women and stuff and one day he blackmailed me that if I don’t listen to him he will reveal our relationship to my parents. And he came to my house and made a big scene.

Then I broke up with the gym. Now almost after a year he is texting me blackmailing me with our old pics that he will post everywhere. Texting and calling my friends and family members. defaming my name and reputation. Creating chaos at my doorstep threatening that he would kidnap me and make me suffer.

Question from: Goa

You should immediately lodge a First Information Report (FIR) against him. Circulating private pictures of a lady in the public is an offence under the Information Technology Act (IT Act). Section 67 of the IT Act punishing the act of dissemination of private or obscene photographs on the internet. Section 84-C of the IT Act enumerates that an attempt to commit any offence is also an offence. Hence, you should lodge an FIR.

Blackmailing is an act of attempt to commit offence

He has been threatening to spread your private photographs on the internet. This act shows that he has the intention to commit an offence and is very likely to disseminate them. It is a penultimate act and if not prevented at this stage he will certainly commit the offence. Blackmailing is an act which is more than preparation and it proves that he has attempted to commit an offence under section 67 of the IT Act. 

You should not delete those messages because it will prove your case. Those messages prove that your ex-boyfriend is blackmailing and threatening to publish photographs on social media. Don’t be afraid that your family and friends will know about this incident. These types of criminals have very weak character and usually run away after knowing that the victim has initiated a legal proceeding against him. So, you should take proper legal action against him.

Lawyer’s advice

Criminal case for kissing a girl

Father of a girl has filed a criminal case against me for kissing her. Now the complainant wants to compromise with an apology. Ninety days have completed but the investing officer did file a charge sheet. How much time does the investigating officer take to close...

Minor daughter can claim maintenance under section 125 crpc

I am fifteen years old and living with my married sister. A minor daughter can claim maintenance against her father if he does not provide fooding, lodging and education fee etc. My father contracted second marriage after my mother's death. He has a son out of that...

Boyfriend threatens to publish photographs on internet

Boyfriend threatens to publish personal photographs on internet to keep me away from his girlfriend. I was in a relationship with someone for seven years and we broke up due to many reasons. Even after ending the relationship he wanted to keep in touch. I let him...

Whether sanction is necessary for retired employee

Whether sanction is necessary for retired employee? A loan was sanctioned in August 2012. CBI admitted the case, employee retired in 31st march 2013. The bank filed complaint with CBI without charging sanctioning authority in 1.6 2017. CBI filed case on 30.07.2019...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.