Paid Advise

My elder brother trying to grab our joint family property

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: My elder brother is trying to grab our joint family property. He said that the property is a self acquired property of our father. My grandfather had purchased land and built a small house thereon. His family was living in that house. Later on my father constructed seven rooms and a servant quarter. However, my father was not living in that house in his service tenure. We are four siblings. Two brothers and two sisters. Since my elder brother has no source of income, I thought that his livelihood would go smoothly on the rental income.

When I got a job in the Ministry of Railway, I sent money to my elder brother and constructed two additional floors. There are five tenants and annual income coming from rent is about 5.6 lakhs. Now he is saying that my father has transferred the entire house to him by a registered will. I have doubts that the said will is genuine. Sir please help. 

Asked from: Maharashtra

This is a joint family property and your father had no right to transfer the entire house through a testamentary will. Some facts are undisputed and you have evidence to prove it. The facts are:

  • Your grandfather has purchased the land.
  • He built a small house thereon. 
  • His family was residing therein. 
  • Your father constructed the ground floor.
  • You have remitted money in your elder brother’s account for the construction of two additional floors.
  • Your elder brother has only one source of income i.e. rental income. 
  • Elder brother is claiming the entire property because of a testamentary will.

All the above said facts are undisputed. Even your elder brother cannot say that any of those facts is false. He is claiming the right to the entire property because of a will. Now the question is whether your father had the power to transfer the entire house through a will?

The above facts squarely indicate that the house is a joint family property. Your grandfather, father and you have contributed to the building of such a big house. Three separate funds were used. All the family members have enjoyed this property. Hence, it is proved from the facts that the house is the hotchpot of joint family property. 

Also read: Which property is called ancestral property?

Your father was not a sole owner of this property. Hence, he could not execute a will and transfer this property to his elder son. Since it is a joint family property so all the siblings have a joint ownership. This fact renders the will illegal because the testator had no right to make it. 

You should file a declaratory suit and declare your right in this property. You are entitled to get one fourth share in this house. However, you have constructed two additional floors but you cannot claim your title in those floors. You have shown your intention through the conduct that you have brought them in the joint stock of family. Therefore, you cannot claim that it is your separate property.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application

Question: Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application. My Grandparents had 7 children and among them 4 sons and 3 daughters. Joint family property is around 130 acres which was divided among all family members under Registered Family Settlement (RFS) in 1972...

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.