Home | Legal Advice | Latest Advice Online | My boyfriend uses very bad words while talking to me: can I take any legal action

My boyfriend uses very bad words while talking to me: can I take any legal action

By: Shivendra Pratap Singh
Estimated Reading Time:

Question: I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for the past 3 years. He always doubts me and blackmails me about calling my relatives, friends and office members and always uses very bad words while talking to me. Can I file a complaint against him?

Asked from: Karnataka

You can take legal action against him for the bad words he uses regarding you. If the words are obscene you can file a complaint under Section 509/354 of the Indian Penal Code. Section 509 IPC makes punishable an act intending to insult the modesty of a woman. 

Whoever, intending to insult the modesty of any woman, utters any word, makes any sound or gesture, or exhibits any object, intending that such word or sound shall be heard, or that such gesture or object shall be seen, by such woman, or intrudes upon the privacy of such woman, shall be punished with simple imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year, or with fine, or with both.

Section 509 IPC

You should approach the court of judicial magistrate for filing a complaint. State all the incidents in a nutshell. If you have evidence to prove his guilt you must adduce it along with the complaint. Don’t lodge false complaint for outrage of modesty. You must adduce some evidence in support of allegation.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer at the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.