Paid Advise

My boyfriend refuses to marry after 11 years of relationship

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: After 11 years of relationship my boyfriend refuses to marry. My boyfriend and I have been in a love relationship for 11 years. I even fought for him with my parents for him. I’m with him in all his ups and downs. He made me believe about our marriage, kids and future plans. Now that I have waited for him for 11 years he is refusing to marry me as our parents  are against our marriage. Now I cannot  imagine my life without him and cannot marry anyone else.

I told him that I cannot marry anyone else, his reply was that he will marry according to his parents whoever they show. My family is also against me as I supported him all the time from 11 years. I cannot live without him because I am emotionally drained. I want to marry him. How to make him agree for marriage? Can I take any legal actions against him and agree for marriage with me as I have his messages and our photos with me?

Asked from: Telangana

You have been emotionally attached to him. But he is not as such. In these circumstances you cannot compel him to marry. He is, however, playing with your emotions but he did not commit any offence. There was no agreement at the beginning of the relationship that marriage would be the consideration for our relations. Hence, you cannot initiate legal action against your boyfriend that he refuses to marry.

You both are major and have the capability to understand the consequences of this kind of relationship. However, he is refusing to marry and saying that his parents will decide this matter but it does not constitute any offence. He is not doing wrong unless there is deception behind sexual relationship. 

Deception or false promise to marriage for sexual relationship is an offence. He has committed rape if he made false promise to marriage only for establishing sexual or bodily relations with you. Rape is an offence punishable under Section 376 of the Indian Penal code. 

For the offence of rape you have to prove that he had obtained your consent on the false promise of marriage. If you fail to prove that you did not know that his promise is false then no offence is made out. He can absolve himself from the offence of rape. 

The facts of your case suggest that there was no sexual relationship between you. Hence, your boyfriend did not commit rape. It is, however, not easy to wipe out all the memories but you cannot take legal action against him for refusing to marry. 

Don’t involve yourself in unnecessary litigation. Avoid filing false first information reports for any cognisable offence. Eventually you have to prove your case otherwise another legal liability will arise against you.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months?

Question: I was married to my boyfriend when I was studying in B.Tech. We solemnised our marriage in a temple. How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months? All those things happened in hush-hush. No one knew about our marriage but we got registration of our...

Legal validity of consensual relationship with brother

Question: It is a complicated situation for me, I am a 40 year old lady. My husband was an abuser and we have legally divorced 6 years ago without any issues left. I left my hometown, came to Delhi to join a job and started staying with my brother who is never married...

Child Custody to a third party 

Question: My partner wishes that I could take legal custody over her. She is happy with her family but wants to leave. I live in the UK, and she lives in India. What (if any) are our options? Can the court allow child custody to a third party?  Asked from: Uttar...

My wife has filed false FIR

Question: My wife has filed false FIR under Section 498A/406 IPC. Section 3 & D P Act, against me and my old aged ill widow mother. I am the only child and my wife and her parents are hell-bent to take divorce. She wants to remarry. Hence they told me they will...

Can I cancel the marriage after engagement

Question: I want to cancel the marriage after the engagement. I met a girl on 14.01.2022 & had an engagement (roka) on 19.01.2022. I met her from 15.01.2022 to 22.01.2022. After that she went to another city (Mumbai) & joined her office. After that she used to...

Mother is taking custody of children from father

Question: My wife is living apart. She is living with her paramour and happy with him. I have two children, both are sons. Now the mother is taking custody of the children from the father. It is a very painful situation for me. Both sons are minor and very happy with...

How can I get a copy of divorce decree?

Question: How can I get a copy of divorce decree? What should I do if my husband has solemnised second marriage? I have been living separately from my husband for two years. He has solemnised a second marriage and is living with that lady. When I knew about it I...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.