Home | Legal Advice | Civil Law Cases | My baby became blind due to negligence of doctor

My baby became blind due to negligence of doctor

Shivendra Pratap Singh


15/03/2022/ 1:16:15 PM

Reading Time:

Question: My baby became blind due to the negligence of the doctor. He did not treat my baby’s blindness. My baby was premature with 28 weeks gestation therefore, needed special treatment. He discharged my baby after keeping her for sixty days in the NICU. We came to know about her blindness after six months when another doctor was diagnosed. Thereafter, we consulted many renowned paediatricians and ophthalmologists. But the result was the same and my baby has lost her sight permanently. Can I take any legal action against the doctor? Please Help.  

Asked from: Gujarat

This is indeed an act of negligence of the doctor in the treatment of your baby. The doctor is a qualified medical professional therefore, must do all the screening required in the birth of a premature baby. This blindness has occured due to negligence in treatment. The doctor had failed to detect or anticipate the imminent danger to the premature baby.  

Negligence of doctor

The doctor cannot take the excuse that the blindness was an unforeseeable circumstance, consequently, he did not take necessary precautions. A premature baby is prone to high risk especially when the gestation period is less than thirty two weeks. Hence the doctor must conduct all screenings to avoid any foreseeable difficulties. 

In the present case, the doctor did not conduct accepted practice to save the life and limbs of a premature baby. If he would have followed the standard procedure in the treatment of such a high risk infant the blindness could have been avoided. 

Also read: Quashing of FIR in medical negligence case

Remedy in negligence cases

The concerned doctor is a qualified medical practitioner hence, the law shall presume that he knows about the possible risks to the premature baby. Hence, the doctor cannot absolve his liability. His act comes under the purview of deficiency in service. The service rendered by the doctor was not at par. 

Therefore, you should file a case in the consumer forum for the grant of compensation. In premature birth, the medical journals indicate that an infant with gestation age less than 32 weeks is required to be screened for Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP). 

The doctor did not screen your baby during the treatment. Your baby had been admitted to his hospital for sixty days. However, the necessary treatment for protection from blindness is to be given within four weeks from birth. Hence, the doctor has committed grave negligence in discharge of his duty. 

The consumer forum has the jurisdiction over the medical negligence cases. Your case is pertaining to the deficiency in service of a medical professional. However, the darkness in your baby’s life can never be compensated in terms of money but you should take legal action against the doctor because your baby became blind due to negligence of doctor. The consumer form will grant compensation in your case.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Cancellation of Sale Agreement

Question: Cancellation of sale agreement without consent of party. I executed an agreement of sale for a 497 sq.yards site with a condition that I will get clearance from ULC. I took advance of 2 lakhs cheque and 2 lakhs cash, totalling to 4 lakhs. It's been 22 months...

Landlord does not provide a rent receipt

Question: After making rent payment, the landlord does not provide a rent receipt. Also not picking up calls & responding to messages. What action can be taken against him? Asked from: Maharashtra You should send to him a legal notice on his residential or postal...

Forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender

Question: I am a contractor and have some tenders in BHEL. The Bhel has forfeited earnest money because I have withdrawn a tender. So I want to know whether forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender is legal in India. BHEL has published tenders for the...

Arbitration in respect of non-arbitrable issues

Question: Some tenders were issued during last financial year. Tenders were in respect of fencing and drainage on both sides of the road. The department has allotted those tenders to my company. Company has to conduct a survey of land and demarcate slope angle for the...

Mud road on my land :  How to get it back?

Question: Government has laid a mud road on my land a few years ago. I have all documents stating the land where the road is laid belongs to me. We do not know about this. How to get my land back? I have all documents stating the land where the road is laid belongs to...

Can mother execute a registered will

Question: Can mother execute a registered will towards the property which she had received from my deceased father? My father died in the year 2021 and he has named my mother as the 100% owner of the existing house in the registered will. I have 4 older brothers and 1...

Appointment of arbitrator under the agreement

Question: My firm is doing business of gravel supply to the government. I want to know whether the appointment of an arbitrator under the agreement is possible? Our firm got a tender from the public works department of Uttar Pradesh. According to the tender agreement...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.